mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Hope Tech M4 vs. Shimano XT M775

I'm trying to decide between Hope Tech M4 and Shimano XT M775 brakes for my next am hardtail (2011 Ragley Blue Pig). I prefer stopping power, reliability and ease of maintenance. I'm wondering whether the increase in price for Hope's over Shimano's is worth it or not, $71 being the biggest difference for the same setup. I weight 170 lbs without gears and ride in Southern California conditions.

Here are my options:

1. Hope Tech M4 standard hose with 160mm floating rotor: $211
    2. Hope Tech M4 standard hose with 183mm floating rotor and adapter: $226
    3. Hope Tech M4 Goodbridge hose with 183mm floating rotor and adapter: $238
    4. Shimano XT M775 standard hose with 160mm rotor and adapter: $140
    5. Shimano XT M775 standard hose with 180mm rotor and adapter: $180

I've read the reviews and posts for both setups. But I hope you guys can give me your point of views. Thank you.
    Last edited by sneakyt; 09-25-2010 at 05:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I love my m775's, the m4 really are a trails/all mountain oriented brake. might they be over kill for your application, maybe. Are the m4's more aesthetically pleasing, yes... do they have gobs of stopping power... yes... are they necessary considering the higher price... up for debate. if you got the dime and want them, go for the m4's. if your pinching pennies, go m775's... either are great brakes and easy on maintenance.

edit: to make statement more accurate.
    Last edited by markj2k4; 09-27-2010 at 01:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The M4 is not a Downhill oriented brake the V2 is. The M4 is a Trail/AM oriented brake and they are not overkill for such a use. The M4 front and X2 rear both with 160mm rotors would be a great balance of power for a hard tail. A X2 front with a 183mm and a X2 rear with 160mm is also a good combo (what I run on my hard tail.)

IMO Hope brakes are worth the extra change.

Edit: N/M Seeing the Blue Pig is an AM hardtail I would go with a M4 183mm front and M4 160mm rear.

Hates rain
    I have no experience with the M4 brakes but I have been running the XT brakes for a while and they are great. Bleeding the XT's is so easy, it requires no more than a 7mm wrench and something to catch the fluid and pads can be changed without removing anything.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mike11204
    I have no experience with the M4 brakes but I have been running the XT brakes for a while and they are great. Bleeding the XT's is so easy, it requires no more than a 7mm wrench and something to catch the fluid and pads can be changed without removing anything.
    Same thing with Hopes except a 8mm wrench.

Master of Disaster
    I don't mean to be a buzzkill but Wiggle.co.uk just this week was selling pre-bled M775 brakesets complete with 180mm rotors and hardware for crazy prices that included free shipping to the USA. Sold out now though. I thought it odd that Wiggle never showed up on the price-search engines I use. Seems that UK prices can be very competitive once VAT is removed. The USD vs BP exchange rate seems to have taken a slide too making prices higher by the day recently.

Shimano Deore XT Hydraulic Disc Brake Set F&R - OE ($240 shipped)
    "Original Equipment products have been bought from excess stock destined for bike manufacturers and as such they may not come in the original packaging or with instructions."
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sh...OE/5360050952/

Shimano Deore XT Hydraulic Disc Brake Set F&R Ex-Demo ($193 shipped)
    "Items have only been fixed to showroom bikes. Product is un-boxed with slight scratch marks to rotors."
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Sh...mo/5360054846/

Anyway, I seriously doubt that the Hope's would be as easy to bleed as the Shimano's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123

Anyway, I seriously doubt that the Hope's would be as easy to bleed as the Shimano's.
    Actually, they are. Pretty much the same process, just more British .

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Clones123
    Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzGQpS6fd3E

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I'm trying to keep my Ragley build to $2,500 max. With the 2011 Blue Pig's price increases over $100 from previous model, I'll need to watch my budget even more.

But I would have bought the XT set from Wiggle for $240. That's a hell of a deal. If I can't find a great deal like that again and the XT ends up being pretty close to Hope's, then I'll probably go with Hope.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyt
    Thank you guys for all your suggestions. I'm trying to keep my Ragley build to $2,500 max. With the 2011 Blue Pig's price increases over $100 from previous model, I'll need to watch my budget even more.

But I would have bought the XT set from Wiggle for $240. That's a hell of a deal. If I can't find a great deal like that again and the XT ends up being pretty close to Hope's, then I'll probably go with Hope.
    You may want to check ebay for the Hope's I know orioncycles offers great deals on them. I have bought both of my sets of Hope brakes from them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    For bling for sure its the M4s. I like the clamping system a bit more but you using lock-on grips might not matter all that much. They also have match makers for sram/shimano shifters if you're looking to clean up your bars.

For value/performance get the m775s.

wuss
    The M4's are definately not downhill brakes, they have great modulation for trail use. Actually I think even the V2's (which I have now) are great for trail use.

M4:
    + Good modulation
    + Look good
    + Good power when you need it
    + Do not overheat easily
    - Noisy in the wet
    - At least I had quite a hassle trying to get the pistons to extend evenly

M775:
    + Great value for money
    + People seem to be very happy with them
    + Easy set up
    + Seem to be pretty set and forget