mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Hope Tech M4 Levers

Help! I'm wondering if I jacked anything up while loosening up the banjo during the installation of my Hope Tech M4s. A little bit of the brake fluid leaked and I hope no air got into the system. When braking with one finger, the levers pull pretty close to my grips. I've adjusted both the contact and lever reach but it's still pretty much the same. Last year, my Strokers felt the same right out of the box, and I'm beginning to wonder if it has anything to do with pre-bled brakes? My buddy has a set of the same Stroker Trails on his bike with the same lever reach and when braking the levers come no where near the grips or middle finger. On another note, the Juicy 7s that originally were on my bike are same, the levers came no where near my grips or middle finger. What gives?

Knollician
    Classic sign of a system that needs bleeding. It will improve the performance of the brakes as well. I always bleed new brakes.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

...idios...
    If fluid came out, then it's likely that air got in. Given that it's so easy to adjusy the lever blade right out, the fact that it requires such a long pull to activate the pads would ceratinly suggest that you did indeed introduce a little air. It doesn't take much to mess up. Also, while Hopes tend to have a perfect factory bleed, that doesn't mean that they won't get it wrong once in a while.

They're a doddle to bleed, so the least you can do is remove a poor bleed from the equation. Are you sure that the caliper is aligned and both/all pistons are moving properly?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    As far as I can tell, yes, everything is aligned and both/all pistons are moving properly. But that's just me. I'll give a shot at bleeding the brakes. Thanks for all that info on your site.

...idios...
    The Tech levers have a small change in the bleed process compared to that described in my guide...

The advice to always use a fresh diaphragm is sound for those who aren't entirely comfortable identifying an out of shape one, but on a new brake you'll be fine to use the original ones again.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler