Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

Hope Tech M4 or ...?

So right now my Felt Nine Trail has crappy Tektro Novela discs on it in the 180/160 flavor. Im looking to upgrade to some hydro brakes. Ive been looking at the Hope Tech M4 in the S.E. ( Only the S.E. because my bike is black white and lime green) Ive pretty much decided on a 203/183 rotor size because Im a clyde at 247 ( although I should be about 195) and I ride in the foothills so naturally there are some long decents. So my question is are there some other decent brakes that wont brake ( pun intended) the bank like the Hopes? The hopes will run me close to 600 which is what I paid for my bike. And yes I understand that with an entry level bike any decent upgrades are expensive in comparison to original purchase price. It seems like there are alot of options out there just not sure whats going to be good. It seems to me there are lots of threads on here about issuse with Avids and I need a more set it and forget it brake system. Thanks in advance for any helpful input.

--Mike--

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Im about 230 lbs + gear and the Hope Tech M4's have no problem stopping me. I run 183/160 atm but if I were to do more downhill related riding I could definatly go for the 203/183 combo, I find the 160 rotor on the rear tends to heat up ALOT and starts making all kinds of sounds while losing braking power.

The hopes are pretty much set and forget other than a simple fluid change every 6mo-year, and checking your pad wear. Im sure there is cheaper brakes out there, but you cannot go wrong with the M4's.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good points and that my thought with the hopes. I dont want all the issuses of all the other brakes. I was hoping some one with Formulas would chime in Im interested in them also.

mtbr member
    Hopes are awesome. Much better than formulas, maguras, hayes, avids, and most every other brake made if not all. They are pricy, but if you can afford them, you have a great brake that you can set it and forget it. It's that easy.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thats pretty much my thoughts. Theres not alot of threads about them so they must be good lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor-Cal-Mike View Post
    Thats pretty much my thoughts. Theres not alot of threads about them so they must be good lol.
    Yeah not a lot about them as they are an English brake, and not many stores stock it. But the great thing is, you can get them from Texas, order what you want, get some ebc red pads and never worry about them. They are just really darn good and super reliable.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thats what Im hoping. there are actually two shops near me that are listed as Hope dealers.so ill probably go check them out in person then order online. Ill have to do one at a time though.

mtbr member
    Another running Tech M4s. Excellent brakes. They can be slightly painful to get setup properly, but once done, they are pretty much forgotten. They do the job brilliantly, with fantastic modulation and power.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Care to elaborate on what was difficult to setup?

mtbr member
    Care to elaborate on what was difficult to setup?
    The joys of four pistons. You have to have the caliper lined up perfectly with the rotor, before you start centering the pistons. Which I highly recommend doing the Hope way (there are good videos on their site). It can take a while to get everything lined up properly with no rubbing.

However, once there, you are good until the pads need changed.

OO7 also has the same setup I am running (M4 front and X2 rear). He had a more difficult time getting his M4 setup I believe, and might be worth PMing. But I think he is happy with the M4s after the setup.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I see, a little frustrating but not rocket science.

mtbr member
    Exactly.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    The joys of four pistons. You have to have the caliper lined up perfectly with the rotor, before you start centering the pistons. Which I highly recommend doing the Hope way (there are good videos on their site). It can take a while to get everything lined up properly with no rubbing.

However, once there, you are good until the pads need changed.

OO7 also has the same setup I am running (M4 front and X2 rear). He had a more difficult time getting his M4 setup I believe, and might be worth PMing. But I think he is happy with the M4s after the setup.
    Yes, this is true . . . partially (perhaps even primarily!) because I have a strong, shall we call it a desire (?) for perfection. I go so far as using spark plug feeler gauges to ensure that the rotor is centered in the caliper. Then, when centralizing the pads, I go to great lengths (once spent almost an hour with it!) to make sure that a) the rotors are true and b) piston's are evenly contacting the rotors.

Now that they are set up to my satisfaction, I have not touched them in months. And with changing the pads to a sintered compound, these things will throw me over the bar if I'm not careful. I still have ample amounts of modulation and the only noise they ever make is the quiet flutter that's typical of the Saw rotors. I absolutely love my brakes.

My ONLY complaint is some minor fluid leakage from the master cylinder. And when I say minor, we're talking along the order of microliter's of fluid. It has not affected performance one bit. I'd bleed the brakes long before it ever became an issue.

edit: one problem that I've had with my M4 is dust accumulation on one of the 4 piston's that caused it to stick. I ride in an incredibly dusty environment here in SoCal and I think that this would have been a problem with any 4-pot brake and is not something unique to Hope. I just need to make sure to clean and lube the piston's more often than most.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

b a n n e d
    Its definitely not rocket science by any means. It just requires careful patience is all.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Good info guys. Keep it comming. what do you guys use for lube and cleaning the pistons?

mtbr member
    The brakes took me an hour and a half for both. It was not hard at all and was pretty easy. The pistons can be cleaned with any brake cleaner. I have never lubed the pistons at all. If you do, maybe a touch of tri-flow on them if you want, but lube attracts dirt, and you don't want to scratch up the piston bosses. I never lubed my 6 piston and older m4 and they still work like new to this day. I did replace them to try out the new stuff, but they are in perfect shape.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Awesome. So I can basically treat them like hydros on a car. And decent priced rotor suggestions? Tge hope floats look great but a little pricey.

mtbr member
    Yes, bleed just like a car. Hope has videos on how to do it, but the way I did mine, made it easy, just have to make sure you keep on top of the fluid as after 2 bleed times, you have to refill. Sometimes after one session. Hope disks are great though. I would use them, but depending on what brake you use, you sometimes cannot use the ice tech rotors because the 2 piece is really high on the disc, hitting the caliper. This happened on my set up, many others I'm sure are ok, but just keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Pretty much.

As for rotors, how about the Hope non-floating? I am using the floating rotors, as I managed to get a few on sale.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    So basically keep the brakes all Hope stuff. Ive heard there are clearance issuse with some of the floating rotors to the fork? Any one experience this? And I assume the biggest benefit of floating rotors is the heat shedding from the aluminum center? Maybe some added rigity?

mtbr member
    That's what I did.

No issues as far as clearance for me. Everything working and fitting brilliantly.

As for floating - heat shedding, slightly lighter if that is a concern. For me the biggest advantage of floating is that they seem to stay in true a lot more than a fixed or non-floating rotor. Maybe something to do with heat transfer? Anyway, seems to be a lot less maintenance as far as rotor truing and therefore brake rub.

And then aesthetics. They just look good!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Slightly lighter is nice not a huge concern but any loss of rotating weight is a good thing. sucks they dont make the centers in lime green. I guess black would be ok. Lol Im getting a head of myself here. I need to get the rest of my parts for my Hope/Flow wheelset.

mtbr member
    If you want green, try checking out Superstar components. They (used to anyway) make lime green floating rotors. Not sure on compatibility/clearance with M4s, but maybe an email to them?

Superstar Floating rotors

mtbr member
    You can special order the centers. Yes I have had a clearance issue here and there, but they worked that out on the later versions. You buy one now, tell them the wheel package and fork and they will send you what you want. I thought they were pretty cheap when I got them from Texas, seemed to be a bit less than online I thought, but to be honest I didn't really look around. I just sent what I had, and what I wanted to Phil and he took care of the rest. Lime green, that's a tough one. If they don't make it, I know a few places in the bay area that can do the lime green anodizing.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I wonder if couldd get them raw then take them to my ano shop they can do anything.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast