Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Hope Tech lever + M780 shifters = no good

Just thought I'd post this up as a community service announcement.

I've been ironing out the kinks on a new bike build and have had a lot of trouble getting a comfortable setup between my new Hope Tech M4 brakes and my shifters. I suspect that if anyone else out there is doing the same, this info could save hassles and $.

The brakes are brilliant but they do have quite bulky master cylinders which can make it a little more difficult to get brakes and shifters to sit well together on the bars. There have been a few threads about this on this board.

I found that I couldn't get the XT M780 shifters to sit well together at all. They would either be too far outboard and mess with the grips or the shifters would need to be rotated too far to be operate comfortably (I was having to having to rotate my wrist to be able to push the paddles vertically downwards).

Hope don't make a matchmaker clamp that works with the M780 shifters (at least not yet).

I decided this would be a good excuse to upgrade to XTR shifters (M980). Honestly, the XT ones were great but the position was just annoying. I also forked out for the matchmaker clamps to go with the M980s.

Unfortunately the matchmaker clamps I received only work well with the M970 shifter. It's hard to find good information on this, but Hope use the same part number for two slightly different matchmaker clamps for XTR levers. Hope's part number is HBSP 263. There's an older one that only works for M970 shifters and a newer one that apparently has been changed to work for both M970 and M980 shifters. The newer one has "M970/M980" written on them. The older one won't fit to the M980s unless you put a washer between the clamp and the shifter body. I found that the washer was causing the shifters to rotate as I pushed the paddles with the fastening bolt done up as tight as I dared.

The good news is that the M980s have a much slimmer body than the M780s so they sit much better under the brake master cylinder. This means (at least for me) that The M980s can be made to work just fine with the shifter's stock clamps. It just means you lose a bit of precious real estate on your bar, and I still haven't got an ideal set up when I throw a Reverb lever into the mix.

I'm currently trying to get a hold of the M970/M980 clamp. I'll also be trying to sell my M780 shifters and finding a home for the Hope matchmaker clamp that works with the M970s...

PW

mtbr member
    You can use the Shimano Deore XT M770 Dyna Sys 10 speed shifters with the Hope Tech XT matchmaker brackets. You have to remove the gear indicators and there's a nub of metal on one of the shifters which has to be filed off.

Once you've done that they will fit properly.

Edit: I found a picture from last year of my bike when it had Hope Tech brake levers and Shimano M770 shifters w/ matchmakers fitted.

Edit 2: My shifters were 2011 Shimano Deore XT SL-M770-10, rather than the 2012 Shimano Deore XT SL-M780-10 shifters. I've edited the model numbers in this post to the correct ones in order to avoid any confusion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hope Tech lever + M780 shifters = no good-powertap_joule.jpg  

Last edited by WR304; 10-14-2011 at 09:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Hmmm, interesting...

Yours looks like a good set up, WR. It is odd though, my shifters (m780) look like the pic below with the covers removed. I can't see how the three bolts on the XT matchmaker would fit on this. Are yours the same?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    I found my XT shifters and had a look at them. They're 2011 Deore XT SL-M770-10 shifters, rather than the 2012 Deore XT SL-M780-10 shifters that you have.

The 2011 Shimano Deore XT 10 speed shifters (Dyna Sys) are the same design as the previous 9 speed shifters and fit onto the Hope matchmaker brackets. The 2012 Shimano Deore XT shifters have a different design for the brackets.

I've attached a picture below that shows the mounting holes on the 2011 Deore XT SL-M770-10 shifters.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hope Tech lever + M780 shifters = no good-shimano_m770-10_shifters.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It all makes sense now WR. Thanks for clearing that up!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Wr304 Thanks for posting this! I've got a set of Hopes that I'd love to try with those mounts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spunge View Post
    Wr304 Thanks for posting this! I've got a set of Hopes that I'd love to try with those mounts.
    Just make sure that you have 2011 Shimano SL-M770-10 shifters, rather than 2012 Shimano SL-M780-10 shifters. SL-M770-10 shifters are the ones which work with the Hope matchmakers and are pictured in posts #2 and #4.

The 2012 Shimano SL-M780-10 shifters as pictured in post #3 look like they don't work.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for the info! Looks like I might not be using them after all

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I bought the Hope XT shifter mounts for my Tech M4 brakes and new Shimano M780 XT shifters, thinking that they'd match. They didn't to my frustration so I've been in contact with Hope on this. Apparently the M780 shifters will work with the Tech XTR shifter mounts. I've ordered some so we'll see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Any news about it ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The new Hope/Shimano HBSP 263 works ok with the M970, M980 and M780-i (the new I-spec mount form shimano).

- Model with no writing : suitable for XTR shifter M970
    (year 2006 to 2010)
    - Model with M970 and M980 writing : suitable for
    XTR shifter above and M980 shifters (year 2011 & 2012)
    - Model with M780-I writing : suitable for all XTR
    shifter types above and XT shifter M780-I (year 2012
    i spec)
    Last edited by Bati; 03-19-2012 at 12:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Also, you can swap the covers of your standard M780 shifters for this:

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So you are saying you have to get the Shimano XT SL78 I-spec tops, and then get
    the specific Hope mount (HBSP236) to be able to mount the M 780 shifters?

I've just got the HBSP236 mount to see if it will work with the M780. Will take it to work tomorrow, remove the gear indicator and see how it fits.

If it doesn't I might just take to it with the TIG welder and melt a big blob then powerfile it
    until the Hope mount doesfit. Might save a whole lot of messing around and extra expense.........grrrr

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ok I see now that you have copy and pasted the info from Hope's website;

I can't link because I'm a loser low poster, but its in the shifter mount bit.

Will see how it goes tomorrow, maybe I should email and confirm with Hope...

mtbr member
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modul...erchart(1).pdf

I've just made the same mistake and brought the wrong mount for my shifters. I have the new 2012 xt shifters. Doh! thank god chain reaction have a good returns systems.

mtbr member
    CRC confirmed that the xtr mounts will fit the new xt 2012 shifters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks!Good to know CRC are now stocking the correct ones. You must have got a different customer service person, one who actually knew something.

reply to my email query:

"We currently stock a wide range of brands and their products, and although we would like to stock every product, we unfortunately cannot. We may get this item in stock in the future.

Why not try the manufacturers or a suppliers website where you might find some more information about this product.

You can also browse our website where you will find many other alternatives that may suit your needs."

Time to send my 2 incorrect matchmakers back

mtbr member
    I went back to them with hopes item code and they said the xtr one will fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yes, according to my email from Hope, as well as the product code HBSP263,
    they need to be inscribed with M780-I . Interested to see the difference from the one
    I already have.

chips & bier
    Well, I've got the M78-I / M970/M980 version, and the shifter pods still rotate unless I apply an insane amount of torque to the mounting bolt. The machined out 'step' in the clamp is placed about 0.5 mm further from the bolt hole than on the Shimano OEM clamps.

Has anybody had the same experience (or a fix ;-) )?

mtbr member
    Yep tried fitting my replacements last night and with full torque the shifters tighten up and won't shift. Slacken the bolt off and it wobbles about. The trouble isn't that machined line but the fact the 2012 xt shifter is held in place by a bolt and a screw. With the screw preventing the shifter form twisting on the mount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Well, I've got the M78-I / M970/M980 version, and the shifter pods still rotate unless I apply an insane amount of torque to the mounting bolt. The machined out 'step' in the clamp is placed about 0.5 mm further from the bolt hole than on the Shimano OEM clamps.

Has anybody had the same experience (or a fix ;-) )?

it seems we may need these

Shimano XT Ispec Direct Attach Cover M780 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    Yep tried fitting my replacements last night and with full torque the shifters tighten up and won't shift. Slacken the bolt off and it wobbles about. The trouble isn't that machined line but the fact the 2012 xt shifter is held in place by a bolt and a screw. With the screw preventing the shifter form twisting on the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by spankone View Post
    So I am having the same issue . . . shifter twists about while shifting. I bought the iSpec model as well and am still having the same issue. Its a VERY easy fix for Hope . . . all they have to do is tap ONE tiny little hole adjacent to the slot and BAM, problem solved. I'm going to call them tomorrow and see.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    well I finale got the mount converter for my shifter, its a shimano part that turns the standard m780 shifter to the m780i shifter, I still found I had to remove the washer on top of the shifter. then after torquing down it worked perfectly.

b a n n e d
    I bought the m780i's that came with the iSpec mounts already. I took them apart, removed the clamp and associated hardware, and reassembled per Hope's instructions. The Hope bracket is missing one essential hole (in my opinion, its essential as it keeps the shifter from pivoting on the mounting bolt.

I've emailed Hope about it and the U.S. service tech is forwarding my pics on to Hope UK. It seems that when they designed the part, they went off of word-of-mouth from Shimano without an actual part in hand to compare to. If they add that hole, these will be a perfect addition.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast