Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hope Tech Evo: X2 vs M4

sooo I need to replace my newly broken front brake, an Ashima PCB, with something that can actually reliably stop my bike.

I was trying to decide between some Formula RX's, Shimano XT's and Hope Tech Evo X2/M4's... Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm fairly set on the M4 for up front but I ride mostly Trail/Light-AM and weigh about 165.. would the X2's suffice? the delta is only ~$20 between the two...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Never tried the X2, I have M4's front and back (180/160mm) and they have no problem stopping me. I weigh about 230 without gear. From what I've read most people run the M4's up front and X2's in the back.

mtbr member
    yep, that's what I've read too - guess I'll go with that. Appreciate the input!

mtbr member
    I run M4 183 F and X2 160 back. Works well for me. Haven't had the luck of trying the new EVO brakes yet, but not sure I would want to run X2/X2 for trail/AM. M4 is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well 210 here and only run x2's front and back and races on another bike. No problems 1 finger braking.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Running Tech Evo X2 front and rear with 180 rotors all around. Plenty of power, great modulation for techy Trail riding/limited all mountain.

About 200 lbs all up... no want for more power, and actually considering switching to a smaller rear rotor.

Stock pads FYI...

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Well 210 here and only run x2's front and back and races on another bike. No problems 1 finger braking.
    Quote Originally Posted by suspect4119 View Post
    Running Tech Evo X2 front and rear with 180 rotors all around. Plenty of power, great modulation for techy Trail riding/limited all mountain.

About 200 lbs all up... no want for more power, and actually considering switching to a smaller rear rotor.

Stock pads FYI...
    Not my experiences at all, and kudos that you can feel comfortable with that set up.

I'm ~200 w/gear and I ride pretty hard on the descent's and keep a pretty good clip. There is absolutely NO way I'd run an X2 up front for what I ride. It is simply underpowered with the stock organic pads (though I do have a set of Brake Authority Aggressives en route, so that might help). The M4 does well as a front brake.

The X2 however, is a great rear brake. It scrub's speed very well without locking up the rear.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drblauston View Post
    Yeah I get going pretty quick so I think I'm gonna go with a M4 up front and keep my Shimano 203mm rotor - will that give me any problems / do I need to get the floating rotor..? Trying not to spend more than I need to. Appreciate all the input guys, I suppose I could get by with X2's but it can't hurt right.
    No need for the floating rotors - just for the bling factor

I have yet to hear of anyone complaining of having too much braking power on tap. Too little though.....

M4 will be good - and again, the modulation......

mtbr member
    Yeah I get going pretty quick so I think I'm gonna go with a M4 up front and keep my Shimano 203mm rotor - will that give me any problems / do I need to get the floating rotor..? Trying not to spend more than I need to. Appreciate all the input guys, I suppose I could get by with X2's but it can't hurt right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You'll be fine with the X2 Evo's and as already mentioned standard discs. Use them on my mid travel mtb bike no problem (for 220lbs ready to ride).
    I would go for the techs mind you as the race are too XC and the race lever has less modulation (too on/off) .

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    One significant difference between the XTs and Hopes is lever travel. XT: short lever throw and quick ramp up in power, 1 finger only. Hopes: much more level travel, slower ramp up and the levers fit more than one finger.

Which is better is down to personal preference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm switching from tech M4's to the new Evo V2's. Don't really need to but I'm changing some other things so I said 'what the hell!' By the time I sell off my M4's and saved the cost servicing them I'm nearly at the cost for the V2's. Anyway, the V2's supposed to offer even more power, provide much better on pad wear and easier to service.

Just an fyi: I could easily overhead the X2's on long alpine descents so I switched to the M4's (180/160) and have been very happy with them. They are more than enough for most riders and terrain.

mtbr member
    I just finished throwing on a new M4 Evo up front and holy shiat it feels incredible. I tried a buddy's XT's and they were powerful but felt too on or off. I also tried some Hayes Prime Pros and they felt a little weak. Maybe I'm biased towards CNC'ed aluminum but damn these levers feel great. Now I just need to save for a X2 in the rear..

Headed out to Moab for 11 days tomorrow, I'll let you all know how well they ride!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by drblauston View Post
    I just finished throwing on a new M4 Evo up front and holy shiat it feels incredible. I tried a buddy's XT's and they were powerful but felt too on or off. I also tried some Hayes Prime Pros and they felt a little weak. Maybe I'm biased towards CNC'ed aluminum but damn these levers feel great. Now I just need to save for a X2 in the rear..

Headed out to Moab for 11 days tomorrow, I'll let you all know how well they ride!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ludwig1 View Post
    I'm switching from tech M4's to the new Evo V2's. Don't really need to but I'm changing some other things so I said 'what the hell!' By the time I sell off my M4's and saved the cost servicing them I'm nearly at the cost for the V2's. Anyway, the V2's supposed to offer even more power, provide much better on pad wear and easier to service.

Just an fyi: I could easily overhead the X2's on long alpine descents so I switched to the M4's (180/160) and have been very happy with them. They are more than enough for most riders and terrain.
    Really interested in your experiences . . . I've contemplated going to the V2's as well for the sole fact that I really like 2 piston designs, which allow for much simpler set-up and maintenance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    M4 up front and x2 in rear is awesome 183/203 up front depending on type of riding you do an a x2 in either 183 or 160 in back, modulation is increble with 203fr &183/160r.
    trlridr

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by trlrdr View Post
    M4 up front and x2 in rear is awesome 183/203 up front depending on type of riding you do an a x2 in either 183 or 160 in back,what bike and type of riding do you do ?
    I'm running an M4/183 in front and an X2/183 in the rear with SS lines and organic pads, though I just bought a set of Brake Authority's "Aggressive" sintered pads to try out for a little more bite on the initial pad contact.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm running M4 Evo's 203 up front and 183 rear feel great power is awesome can't fault them

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Really interested in your experiences . . . I've contemplated going to the V2's as well for the sole fact that I really like 2 piston designs, which allow for much simpler set-up and maintenance.
    Haven't ridden any other hopes, but my new v2's are surpassing my expectations. I went with 203/185 rotors because I wanted the v2 rotors (they don't come in 160) and I was really afraid that they would be way too much brake on my AM bike. Surprise! The modulation is the best I've ever experienced and although they are wicked powerful they never feel on/off. We'll see how long term goes but so far they are easily the best brake I've ever tried.
    I went with the v2's over the m4's because I was sick of underpowered brakes, so I thought go big or go home...
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    Haven't ridden any other hopes, but my new v2's are surpassing my expectations. I went with 203/185 rotors because I wanted the v2 rotors (they don't come in 160) and I was really afraid that they would be way too much brake on my AM bike. Surprise! The modulation is the best I've ever experienced and although they are wicked powerful they never feel on/off. We'll see how long term goes but so far they are easily the best brake I've ever tried.
    I went with the v2's over the m4's because I was sick of underpowered brakes, so I thought go big or go home...
    I'm in the same boat. I'm happy with my M4/X2 combo for the time being but I really prefer a simpler 2-piston design . . . I just spent the better part of an afternoon trying to free up two sticky piston's on my M4 (opposite sides of each other), causing the pads to contact at an angle. This is not an issue with 2 POT brakes.

wuss
    I had M4's for a while and liked the feeling, but the pistons always started coming out unevenly after a while.

Got a pair of V2's about a year ago, and even for a light guy like me (70kg) they are great. They have very good modulation (not quite M4 but not far off either), work reliably and have a lot of power when needed. I spend most of my time on trails which are wet and slippery or frozen and even then I've never felt they would have too much power.

I have 203/183 rotors, but also have a 160mm mono trial rotor which I'll be testing in the back (183/160) when I get around to it.

Btw, the V2 caliper is actually lighter then the M4, but the rotors are a vit heavier.

b a n n e d
    This thread is making me want to switch to V2's

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I'm currently running Juicy 5s and they are the only hydro disc brake I have ever used. The power is t great and I hate the noise. Narrowed my choice down to the new XTs or the Hope tech X2 Evos. I am not thrilled with some of the leaking issues I am reading about with the XTs. I also really like that you can basically replace almost every single part on the hopes. I'm rough on bike parts and like that fact that I can replace a lever or any other broken part if needed.

I can get a smokin deal on the X2s with braided hoses. But this thread has me wondering if I should go with a V2 up front. I imagine that the X2s will be much more powerfull than my Juicy 5s

FWIW these are going on my FS trail bike and I live in New England. Lots of short steep ups and downs but very few long DHs where brake fade is a real issue.

b a n n e d
    I think a V2/X2 combo would be really unevenly matched and difficult to balance the power. I think an M4 would be a better selection for you. It really is a good brake, but from what I've learned, it takes just a touch more maintenance (e.g., regularly cleaning the piston's). Though this might be a unique thing to my climate where it is dusty, dry, and dusty. Did I mention that it gets really dusty out here? In a wetter climate, it may be a non-issue.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    One of my bikes has a 203mm V2 front and 180mm X2 rear. I love the power and modulation of the V2, but the X2 is only just barely powerful enough to lock up the rear wheel - if I'm leaning forward or braking hard with the front, I can lock up the rear. Otherwise, it won't lock. So for sheer braking power it's adequate but, again, only just barely. For skid-steering, it's not quite enough.

It's not a big deal, but I'm going to put a 203 rotor on the back at some point to see if that gives a better balance. If I could do it over again I think I'd go M4 in the back.

No way would I put an X2 on the front of any bike that ever goes down hills.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast