Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2008

Hope Stealth Race EVO X2 feedback

I'm in the market for a set of stronger brakes. I've ridden nothing but Avid since I started mountain biking again in 2008. Since that time I've ridden Juicy Ultimates, Elixer CR, Gen 1 XX, 2013 XO and currently have 2013 XX. They all had similar characteristics in the way they feel. Excellent modulation but not super strong stopping power. The XO actually felt the best.

I really like the look of the Hope Stealth Race EVO X2 brakes. The weight is decent and there is no carbon fiber injection molded fragile bits. The reviews I can find are all very consistent. Not all over the map like some other brakes. Can anyone provide me some first hand experience with these brakes?

FYI: I'm 170# and would consider myself an aggressive cross country rider. I ride a carbon 29" hard tail if you need to know.

Thanks for any feedback.

JC

mtbr member
    They are a great brake, not the most powerful, but you can get a ton of different pad choices and disc choices. I had the x2 on the rear of my HD and it was great, no fade, but I needed a tad more power potential, so I went with the v4's all the way around. Complete overkill, but why not. The x2 is a great brake, no noise, no leaks, no issues and great modulation.

b a n n e d
    Define "Aggressive XC" . . . I run an X2 on the rear of my AM/Trail bike and I agree with mazspeed. It's just not that powerful of a brake. If you were mostly riding flat(ish) XC terrain though, it might be okay.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Define "Aggressive XC" . . . I run an X2 on the rear of my AM/Trail bike and I agree with mazspeed. It's just not that powerful of a brake. If you were mostly riding flat(ish) XC terrain though, it might be okay.
    I was running it on a whimpy 160 disc, but on a 180 on the front should be much better. Plus I go 220, so he should be good. Worse case, get a set of ebc red pads and you would be really set. Im going to run them on my SLR now.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I live in North Georgia so we have a little of everything terrain wise. How does the power compare to the XX? If you have ridden them of course.

mtbr member
    Avid XX do have some complaints from some users. The hopes are a much better brake. I would ave to say that hopes are the best mtb brakes currently going. If you can get them, get them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have the Tech X2 and Tech M4 Evos for my bikes. The X2s are great brakes, excellent modulation, adjustablility, super quite (unlike avid), easy to bleed, and pretty good power. Im 200lbs and the X2 work just fine however they do lack a bit of power for the steeps for me. They should be just fine for your XC rig. I went with the M4 evo on my new stumpy fsr, and they are quite the step up in braking, however my trails are snowed in and I havent had a chance to fully test them. The race levers are sweet, but they lack the adjustments of the tech lever. Most people complain about the tech lever bulkyness but it works just fine for me and they look quite burly. You cant go wrong with hopes, by the way dont get the floating rotors. I had issues with play in the rivots, and decided to go with the fixed hope rotor and didnt notice a difference in performance. Mazspeed is right hopes are one of the best upgrades you can make to a bike, and wheels. The rest is just bling.

By the way I ride trails in South Eastern Wyoming, and northern Colorado.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Thanks for the feedback so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    By the way I have the 2012 Sram X7 shifters and have no problem with clearance with the bulky tech lever and that's without the hope matchmaker. Some people have had issues with shimano shifters.

mtbr member
    May 2008

I'm running XX1 grip shift and an XLoc remote. Currently have a right handed xloc but have a left hand version on the way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The X2 is nice, but it doesn't have enough power for me, and I suspect fade would be a problem as well if I lived in a place with bigger downhills. Mind you I just bought an M820 Saint for the front of my XC/Trail bike so I'm decidedly in the overkill is betterer camp considering that I only weigh 150 lbs.

Going back to the X2, as others have said the modulation is great and the brakes are nice & quiet. I had to yank the levers harder than I'd like to when braking from higher speeds, but they felt fine for most stuff up to about 15km/h or so, give or take a bit depending on steepness. On tight, lower speed trails I'd be just fine with them, but for the trails at my friend's cottage where I'm often flying around at over 40km/h it's just not enough brake for the way I prefer to ride.

I'd say go M4 front and X2 rear. Not too much of a weight penalty, but it puts a fair bit more braking power where you need it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post

I'd say go M4 front and X2 rear. Not too much of a weight penalty, but it puts a fair bit more braking power where you need it.
    I agree with this here, the x2 is great for many things, and would be great on a 180 or even 203 disc, but the m4 in front is where it is at, and you can get almost any custom color you want cheap here. hope
    I changed the color of my parts to gunmetal. Just a little custom thing, they look really cool as well.
    This combo works for a lot of people.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There is always XTR Race but the Hope look so nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc280 View Post
    There is always XTR Race but the Hope look so nice.
    The XTR race will fade faster and has about the same power as the x2. It will be more powerful at first hit, but the more you hit squeeze the lever on both, the hopes will become a little more powerful as you press. On long downhill runs, I never felt fade on the x2s, but did a lot on the xtr's. The hopes are very controllable all the way though the stroke.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Was able to put my hands on a set of Stealth Tech Evo X2. They felt and looked awesome. Didn't get to ride them on the trail but just putting hands on was good. Will these have similar feel and power as the race version?

b a n n e d
    Was able to put my hands on a set of Stealth Tech Evo X2. They felt and looked awesome. Didn't get to ride them on the trail but just putting hands on was good. Will these have similar feel and power as the race version?
    On the power aspect, yes probably . . . on the feel aspect, maybe. Maybe not. with the race version you do lose some adjustability of the lever.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here is some pretty good information.

How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Here is some pretty good information.

How We Test Hydraulic Disc Brakes - BikeRadar
    I stopped looking at bike radar testing for anything relevant years ago. Insufficient testing, most of the time no explanations on anything like testing procedures. I really think they take short and long straws or advertising dollars. Your best reviews are from pro racers.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    I stopped looking at bike radar testing for anything relevant years ago. Insufficient testing, most of the time no explanations on anything like testing procedures. I really think they take short and long straws or advertising dollars. Your best reviews are from pro racers.
    Bingo.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ordered a set of the Race X2. Looking forward to my first set of non Avid brakes.

Thanks for the feedback!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hey jc280, what rotor size did you decide to go with? I ran 183 f and 160 rear for my old 26er stumpy. It was plenty of power up front however in the rear 183 would have been better for my weight 200lbs. For your weight 183 f and 160 rear should be good.

You wont have any issues with the power, I had the old X2s and they are great. The evos are suppose to have more power than the older model.

Spoiler alert! Once you hear the hope buzzing noise you will be hooked on hopes.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm going to give 160 front and rear a go. I weigh 165-170 most days. If the 160 don't work out then I'll go one size up in the front.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    Hey jc280, what rotor size did you decide to go with? I ran 183 f and 160 rear for my old 26er stumpy. It was plenty of power up front however in the rear 183 would have been better for my weight 200lbs. For your weight 183 f and 160 rear should be good.

You wont have any issues with the power, I had the old X2s and they are great. The evos are suppose to have more power than the older model.

Spoiler alert! Once you hear the hope buzzing noise you will be hooked on hopes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey jc280 make sure to post up a pic when you get those installed, and dont forget to post up a detailed review for us bike nerds on this post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey forgot to mention you may have to trim your hoses on the hopes depending on your frame size. Its super easy, and only requires a 8 mm wrench, cutters, and pair of pliers. You will be able to reuse the parts, just dont damage it when you pull the barb out of the hose. After finishing shorting your hoses, make sure the master cylinder is level, and take the cover off (small torex screws) and refill the res. with dot 5.1 brake fluid and bleed the brake. If your careful you wont have to do this when shorting the hose, but I would do it anyways just to see how easy it is to bleed its very similar to bleeding a dirt bike brake. Check out hopes site for bleed tips.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Watched the video and it looks super easy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast