Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Hope or Shimano disc brake set?

Ok, as a disclaimer....of sorts...I don't like comparisons threads...
    But at this moment, and when I plan on spending big bucks, this is crucial.
    I need more than magazine references and salesmen info right now.

I plan on selling my XTR m975's and getting new ones. I need more modulation, and power.

Theres the new Shimano XTR Trails VS Hope Tech X2 (special Edition Black)

I have used Shimanos XT's which I think they are similar in design, and liked them.

I don't have experience with hopes, feel-wise, but I just love their looks. And heard very good things about them too!

So, c'mon guys...differences, tips, advice...everything works! Thanks!
    My Bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...3&postcount=49

On-One Whippet 650b XC machine

Underskilled
    Hope are a very good company, run by nice people. So it pains me to say XTR trail is better designed, the disks are also a cunning design.

Have you considered Formula?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    i have had both hopes and shimano and currently still using the shimano brakes

for the price, i think hopes are slightly underpowered but the quality is great.

my shimano's (saint, SLX) are very powerful however, although they might not be as visually appealing or as light, i would still go for them over my old hopes.

i can only imagine the XTR's to be even better than my SLX's
    Scott Voltage FR!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

There is only One

The My One's by Formula are the best brake on the market.180F/160R and you are set for a long time. Modulation and power galore.
    Cheers,

mtbr member
    Hey thanks for the replies!

I've read very good things about "the ones"! But I have no information regarding price....

The thing is, I can get a good deal on both the XTR trails or the Hopes. I'm gonna ask my LBS how would the formulas compare $$$ wise to the shimanos and hopes.

If they are in the same price range I will definitely consider those!

What version of the ones do you have? Aren't those for DH or FR?

mtbr member
    I have to disagee with the one's being even close to the best. Depends on your riding style. I run hope m6ti with ebc red pads, but the new XTR is a good brake if you're not downhilling. The x2 hope brakes are really nice with different pads. Hope's come with terrible pads for some reason. Always have. But the X2's and the xtr's are much better than the one's.

b a n n e d
    So along the lines of this discussion (Formula brakes excluded) . . . .

I am looking to upgrade my current Avid Elixir 5's and I am seriously looking at either a Hope Tech M4 (front) + X2 (rear) combo or the new XTR's.

I have heard that the Hope's are very "touchy" to get set up properly and take a lot of fiddling, but once dialed in are bombproof. Whereas the new XTRs are a "set-it-and-forget-it" set-up and easier out of the box. Any truth to this?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    So along the lines of this discussion (Formula brakes excluded) . . . .

I am looking to upgrade my current Avid Elixir 5's and I am seriously looking at either a Hope Tech M4 (front) + X2 (rear) combo or the new XTR's.

I have heard that the Hope's are very "touchy" to get set up properly and take a lot of fiddling, but once dialed in are bombproof. Whereas the new XTRs are a "set-it-and-forget-it" set-up and easier out of the box. Any truth to this?
    Yes on the XTR's, but I have never had issues setting up my hopes. But others may have, that I don't know, but hope has a video of how to do certain things for their brakes and how to's.

mtbr member
    True...Hope does have set-up videos that are fool proof really. hopetech.com

What I like about the new XTR trails is the short lever..and overall small perch. I brake with one finger, so it really felt comfortable.

I'm looking at the hopes, and I'm kinda confused....which model is the best for aggressive (not downhill, looking for something not to heavy) riding...the Tech X2 or the V2???

mtbr member
    (edit)
    Scott Voltage FR!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7
    I have heard that the Hope's are very "touchy" to get set up properly and take a lot of fiddling, but once dialed in are bombproof.
    Not really. The current Tech lever has more adjustability than most other brakes, there's definately the scope to make a perfectly good brake feel terrible by turning one or more adjuster too far.

Aside from that, set up and bleeding procedure is pretty much identical to Shimano brakes (except more care needs to be taken with Dot fluid than Mineral oil).

One area Hope score massively better than any other Brake brand is spares availability. You can get just about any part for Hope brakes all the way back to the early Closed2. Long term it's a godsend and why my next brakes will be Hope.

I have a set of (2006) XT-755 brakes that will soon be for the bin. Various parts of the lever and the pistons themselves are plain worn out. They still work now but short of buying entire lever/caliper assemblies Shimano no longer stocks any spares. For more current ranges Shimano are still pretty good though.

My opinion of Formula is tainted by my experiences trying to get small parts (for customers),you get there in the end but it can be a real PITA.

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by dhbomber
    I'm looking at the hopes, and I'm kinda confused....which model is the best for aggressive (not downhill, looking for something not to heavy) riding...the Tech X2 or the V2???
    Hope Tech M4 or if you want to save some weight then Hope Tech M4 front and Hope Tech X2 rear.
    Customer: How spicy is medium?
    Waitress: It's "medium"...

mtbr member
    the Tech X2 or the V2???
    The X2 uses the same caliper as the XC race brake, but with the more adjustable and longer Tech lever. It's reasonably powerful.

The V2 is the big DH brake, web photos don't show it well but the V2 caliper is much bigger than the X2.

mtbr member
    Ok ok, so I'm getting the idea.

What about the M4? I can read the website description, but it's waaaay better to hear it from you guys.

I would like something light, but more powerful than my current m975's I'm running...Looking to use 160 rear and 180 front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arashi
    Hope Tech M4 or if you want to save some weight then Hope Tech M4 front and Hope Tech X2 rear.
    This and change out your hope pads for ebc red pads. It will be an awesome brake.

mtbr member
    I put the new tech adjustable lever set up on my older 6ti and m4 and it works killer. Tons of adjustment.

mtbr member
    Ok ok, so I'm getting the idea.

What about the M4? I can read the website description, but it's waaaay better to hear it from you guys.

I would like something light, but more powerful than my current m975's I'm running...Looking to use 160 rear and 180 front.
    You would be good on a good set of tech's or the new xtr's. Change out the xtr pads to something better though as well as change out the hopes. Either way both are great brakes. Someone said formula's as well, but no. Stay away from those.

mtbr member
    The Hope brakes seem to be looking like a possibility!

Any shimano XTR trail users???

Comparisons?

Anything works! We're talking big investment here!

mtbr member
    The Hope brakes seem to be looking like a possibility!

Any shimano XTR trail users???

Comparisons?

I have a set of the new trails. I had them on my bike, but fadded them out on a long downhill ride. Having said that, the shop that I go to locally said that the stock pads will do that, and that to change them out for a better pad. I don't know who makes aftermarket pads for the new xtr yet. I have not done that as I put them on my wifes bike. I really like them, a true one finger brake and some cool features.

mtbr member
    The horrible truth: They're both great.

Seriously man, just roll a dice or something, you'll not be disappointed by either set.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade
    The horrible truth: They're both great.

Seriously man, just roll a dice or something, you'll not be disappointed by either set.
    well said!

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed
    I have a set of the new trails. I had them on my bike, but fadded them out on a long downhill ride. . so . . I put them on my wifes bike.
    Husband of the year

I just got back from the LBS and bottom line is, some new brakes are in my future. Since I have 6 bolt hubs and don't want to mess with adapters or new hubs, Hopes are the winners. I'll be opting for an M4 out front with an X2 out back. Not looking to save weight, but I just don't see the need for a 4-pot rear.

mtbr member
    I've been doing a lot of research...not taking this lightly...

I think the advantages of Hopes are that you can't beat the availability of spare parts and the compatibility of future lever designs of calipers with current ones. That for me is a deal maker!

Like everything, I've read mixed reviews...some saying they do fade...some that they offer "on/off" feel and some others swear by them (like my friend the owner of my LBS).

XTR trails are sooo rad, but I just don't see why those are gonna be more powerfull than a hope tech M4 with it's 4 pistons. And as an added bonus...they are cheaper!

So probably Hope it is!

Quick question....what about the difference between regular hose and stainless steel hose? I would assume that SS don't kink or warp or tear for that matter...but is it worth the upcharge? I've never had any trouble with regular hoses...

b a n n e d
    I'll be opting for the SS lines. I don't think its an issue of kinking/wraping/tearing but more of added rigidity. Hydraulic lines can and do expand under pressure. Even a half mm of uniform expansion over the length of the entire hose can add up and give you that spongy feeling (what I don't like about my current Avid's). SS lines try to alleviate that by creating a more rigid hose.

Or so I think . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    from what i understand SS hoses offer less expansion.

I picked up the Hope Tech M4's with regular hoses a couple weeks ago and they are amazing, awesome stopping power (I am 250 geared up), easily can do one finger braking with these. haven't hit the trails yet but I can't wait.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast