mtbr member
    Sep 2008

hope rotors will they fit???

i've got a set of hope mono m4 the black and gold ones. i wana fit floating rotors. but not sure if they'll fit. the one i've seen have a saw edge, but are addvertised as being for 2007 modle brakes will the fit my earlyer backs. i cant see that there any difference in the calipers i think the only difference is the levers is that right???
    any help would be great

banned
    We need more info to go on, such as exactly which version of the "black and gold" ones you have. The earlier ones went on a slightly different radius/diameter, so instead of the 183 like the later models, it was 180, for instance. Not a huge difference in radius, and usually workable (I've used a 183 on a IS m4 made for 200 or 180 without trouble).

There was also a change in the calipers later going to PM exclusively in 2007, while the earlier models did have PM's available, but the way the tabs integrated into the caliper was a bit different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    thanks for the reply. im the disk i have are 180mm and the caliper have 04-05 and 05-05 does that mean anything to you lol. and there IS fitment

banned
    I'm sorry, but I just don't understand what you wrote in your reply. I'm willing to help, but people also have to be willing to convey their ideas clearly and without "LOL". I see lots of threads where I know people have info, but won't give them the time of day due to how they're presented.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    sorry the front caliper has hope 04-05 on it is that the model number or something else? if its not the model number where do i find it? sorry for being a pain

banned
    You're not being a pain, but you have to realize how incredibly frustrating it's becoming to try and offer help vs. how easy it is just to bail out the moment anyone sees such things as "LOLs" all over a thread and little to no literacy being displayed. Sorry for the preaching, but it's becoming more and more difficult around here and the biggest, sometimes only thing users have between us here is the ability to communicate.

The best thing to do is post a pic of the caliper, as there were different mounts and dimensions. Earlier m4's were also spaced for 160, to add more complications to the matter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i understand what you mean. i should have given my post a bit more thought. will post a pic now

banned
    Cool, just to be certain, get both sides, as sometimes the graphics tell a story. Furthermore, the earlier mono M4's had metallic pistons, which were later replaced with composite ones. The metallic pistons look smaller and seem to fit in sleeves, while the composite ones are pretty unmistakable in that it looks simply one piece and not in a sleeve.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

they do have the metal pistons with the metal sleeve in side. not composite
    heres the back

its got the number 3 stamped on the attachment leg

banned
    Love the safety pin. I use pieces of staples, myself

Ok, so that looks like an early IS M4 caliper.

The tricky part here is if you're going for a 180-ish size, those calipers were spaced for 180 and a 183 has only a 1.5mm difference in radius. Not much and mine have fit my earlier caliper, BUT there could be differences in tolerances on the bike they go on. Be aware.

If you're looking to just buy rotors, then go for the floaters for the Mini or the M4, as they are the particular model made to fit it, and then go for the even number in sizing. It should be the series with 160, 180, 200. What sizing are you going for?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    those pin that hope give you are rubbish, so came up with that idea. seem to work ok.
    was hoping to go for 183 rotor at the back and then a 203 at the front. but might stick to 180/200 just to be on the safe side. and use a 20mm IS to IS adaptor on the front

banned
    That would be the safe bet. 3mm is not a big deal, and the only huge difference is just the appearance. For most people, the sawblade rotor won't give any discernible difference, although I felt one.

Double-metric mtb man
    They look like the same calipers I have. The word I got from Hope when I looked into the "new" rotors is that the sawtooth rotors will work, but that the set-up will be a bit more critical.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me