mtbr member
    Jan 2007

hope rotors thicker than normal ones?

i have a centerlock hub, and i want to put in some hope floating rotors on them. therefore, i decided to head down to my lbs and ask for a CL-6bolt adapter, but when they heard that im going to moun hope floating rotors, they said that the mounting holes are slightly thicker than normal rotors, so it might not be a good idea to use an adapter with a hope rotor.

i was looking at DT swiss adapter. they said that if I do decide to use an adpater, i should try the problem solvers one which allows me to "screw" the rotor in.

what do you guys think?

wyrd bi ful rd
    I do not see how the mounting holes being thicker on the rotor will be a problem. They are thicker because of the aluminium centres. The adaptor should have a mounting surface, at an equal distance from the centre of the hub as a standard 6 bolt hub. It will effectively be a 6 bolt hub is it not?

I guess you could give chain reaction cycles an email to ask them if it will fit. Give them your hub model number.

sales@chainreactioncycles.com

Their tech department is quite good. Say if they confirm that it will fit, then when you order it from them and it does not, you can return the rotors with a full refund incl return postage. There should not be any sign of usage on the rotor and you will be fine.

...idios...
    Here's a couple of shots of the carrier....

2pcfront.jpg

2pcrear.jpg

As you can see, the area where the rotor bolts to the hub is the same thickness as normal rotor as it is recessed into the carrier. One problem that I could foresee is that the adaptor doesn't fit into the rear recess, although from the pictures I've seen of the DT Swiss adaptor it shouldn't be an issue. Chinaman's advice is good; give CRC a call and ask them to check compatability for you.

EDIT. I've just checked an older floating rotor, a 160mm, and it doesn't have the recessed mounting area. I had a little look around and I'm thinking that newer rotors (with the new Hope logo) are recessed, the earlier versions most likely aren't.
    Last edited by SteveUK; 01-14-2008 at 07:07 AM.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    thanks a lot guys! SteveUK, the picture really helps put things in perspective. i am planning on ordering the 160mm floating saw rotors from CRC, so i'll drop them an email.

the hub is a shimano 495 centerlock. i guess the recessed mounting holes on the rotors are designed to fit only the "true" 6-bolt hubs... but hopefully they'll work with the DTswiss one without issues. The only potential issue i see is tht only the mounting holes are recessed, instead of the the entire contact area being recessed. and since the entire contact area is not recessed, i dont know how much of a help would the recession in the mounting holes help.

Also, anyone have any experience with the Alligator Centerlock Adapter?

wyrd bi ful rd
    I have a smooth edge 160mm floating rotor which do not have the recessed area.

My saw tooth 183mm has the recessed area.

You can check with CRC if the 160mm saw tooth has the recessed area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    I have a smooth edge 160mm floating rotor which do not have the recessed area.

My saw tooth 183mm has the recessed area.

You can check with CRC if the 160mm saw tooth has the recessed area.
    same for me, no recessed area on my hope floating saw 160 mm and 140 mm rotors

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Baltazar
    same for me, no recessed area on my hope floating saw 160 mm and 140 mm rotors
    They won't have a recessed area. Only rotors 180 and above.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    They won't have a recessed area. Only rotors 180 and above.

aha, why are those thicker? becouse the need it to not flex so mutch at the bigger sizes?

banned
    For clearance, as with rear ends that taper inward. Some forks have close clearance as well with their legs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by _ALX_
    thanks a lot guys! SteveUK, the picture really helps put things in perspective. i am planning on ordering the 160mm floating saw rotors from CRC, so i'll drop them an email.

the hub is a shimano 495 centerlock. i guess the recessed mounting holes on the rotors are designed to fit only the "true" 6-bolt hubs... but hopefully they'll work with the DTswiss one without issues. The only potential issue i see is tht only the mounting holes are recessed, instead of the the entire contact area being recessed. and since the entire contact area is not recessed, i dont know how much of a help would the recession in the mounting holes help.

Also, anyone have any experience with the Alligator Centerlock Adapter?
    pls post it with pics, cuz i have the same set up, im going for 160mm floaties. thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    For clearance, as with rear ends that taper inward. Some forks have close clearance as well with their legs.
    like the fox forks. hope guys says that i will have problem with floating rotors cuz of the round rivets in it but im so locked into it and i will file if i have too