mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Hope rear rotor size?

I'm ready to upgrade my Hayes HFX 9 discs to some Hope Mono 4's. My current set up has an 8 inch rotor in the front and a 6 inch in the rear. I added the larger rotor up front because the 6 inch seemed to fade on long down hills. I'm going with a 200 mm up front but can't decide between a 160 or 180 for the rear. Any suggestions? I'm about 170lbs and ride mostly cross country with some substantial downhill action. (What goes up must come down)

Thanks
    Last edited by mtnbikevic; 02-13-2005 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstick
    I'm ready to upgrade my Hayes HFX 9 discs to some Hope Mono 4's. My current set up has an 8 inch rotor in the front and a 6 inch in the rear. I added the larger rotor up front because the 6 inch seemed to fade on long down hills. I'm going with a 200 mm up front but can't decide between a 160 or 180 for the rear. Any suggestions? I'm about 170lbs and ride mostly cross country with some substantial downhill action. (What goes up must come down)

Thanks
    I don't think you would overheat the 160mm rear rotor on a all mountain bike but the 180 would be a close match power wise. Be aware that the Mono4's come stock with sintered (metal) pads. while these are powerful and long lasting pads, the bronze is a better conductor of heat than the stainless rotor is, so it conducts a fair portion of the brake heat back through the pads (and calipers) They are fine for moderate downhilling but if you get into long and technical descending (or ride lifts) swap out the pads for a semi metallic or a resin based (organic) pad (there are huge amounts of choices for the Mono4 as they share the same pad as the Sram and older 4 pot Shimano brakes) I keep a set of Koolstop pads around for when (ocasionally) I go to ski-slopes.