mtbr member

Hope Race X2 vs. Formula R1

Does anybody have any real world experience with these brakes?

My Fuel EX came with SRAM XO brakes and I'm looking to replace them. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to these two from Hope and Formula and XTRs.

Can anyone weigh in on one vs. the other?

mtbr member
    What is your weight, and what kind of riding will you be doing? I love my hope brakes with EBC pads, but the new xtr's are nice as well. If you do get the hope's change out the stock pads right away, they are garbage. I am 225 and ride a lot of fast downhill rides and I fade out the new xtr's pretty badly, but I'm pretty rough on brakes.

mtbr member
    I weigh 190 and ride cross country and technical singletrack. Not a lot of blazing downhills. But a few extended technical downhill sections. I have Shimano M975 brakes on other bikes and really like those. I've had Hope V2s but didn't care for the monster sized lever. They were too difficult to mount cleanly on my bars. I could never get them in a position that made for comfortable braking and shifting. They had a nice grabby feel to start but after some time their feel changed to a hard solid like feel that didn't seem to stop as well. Could this be why you mention swapping pout the pads?

mtbr member
    Yeah hopes come with crappy pads. It's because England is wet, and they figured that it rains as much everywhere else as it does there or something. The EBC red or green pads are downright awesome for hopes. I always like the hope brakes, but the new xtr trail brake is pretty awesome if you don't treat it like a downhill type of brake. It's really nice and a true one finger brake. Plus the xtr lever sounds like it may be more of your liking. I would go with either one, but to replace pads on a xtr it will cost you about $50 per wheel, or so I have heard.