mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Hope Race X2 issue

Hi all,

I just installed a set of Hope Race X2 brakes with 160mm ashima rotors. They are super light, but I find they dont grab very well. Good manipulation and feel, they just dont bite. Is there a break in period where they will get better, or should I look at a different rotor with more surface area? If so what are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

here are some pics:

Last edited by anubisRJD; 05-13-2012 at 05:25 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Have you used the Ashima rotors with other brakes before? That probably is your problem. There isn't much rotor to grab onto. The Alligator/Ashima Windcutters had a lot less stopping power for me, and they have a lot more meat than yours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    No I haven't used them before. I was looking at formula rotors but heard they squeal a lot. I was told the Ashima rotors will break in and add more bite over time.

I did it all for the kudo
    I use the same setup, it just takes a few rides to bed in the pads. The ashima rotors work surprisingly well. You'll like them.

mtbr member
    It does take some time to bed in the new pads to the rotors. They should feel stronger after a short period of time. If you read your instructions, then it tells you how to break them in.

-Brett

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There are instructions? Crap...anyone have a link?

mtbr member
    I was thinking that there was more instructions than this, but it still gives you some insight. You can find more stuff under tech support on Hope's website.

-Brett

b a n n e d
    FWIW, my experience with the Hope organic pads (what's stock with the kit) was less than optimal and match what you are describing. I recently made the switch to sintered pads and am quite pleased so far. there's a post I started a few days ago re: brake authority pads. Take a look there.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yea be aware the Hopes come stock with organic pads... I use my X2 with hope rotors and they are amazing, bu the hope rotors are substantial... With a tiny rotor like that you may want metal pads and give them some time to break in.
    Quote Originally Posted by sickspeed16
    Your not all mountain unless your runnin' crushed dew cans..
    '12 Scalpel 29er Carbon 1
    '13 SuperSix EVO Red Racing

mtbr member
    The stock Hope organic pads take eternity to bed in. It's best to replace them with a set of good sintered pads on the front brake right away. On the rear brake the organic pads should be okay though.