mtbr member

hope old mini mono resivour bolts

yip my bolts have been rounded, i have the new torx ones to replace them but what the easyest way to get them out without scratching the brakes? I would have used an easy out but dont have access at my LBS.
    Rolling & Tumbling

banned
    Here is the link to my instructions on how to get them out.

If you stripped your bolt already, use a pilot drill bit, then make the final removal using a 9/64 drill bit. It only takes a few minutes and so long as you're patient, no damage will occur. The bolt head came off on my bit in my case. Just keep hitting the bolt with the drill, looking every few seconds. I removed the cover and unthreaded the shank of the bolt by hand, as the cover is very thick and a lot of it is left above the body of the master cylinder.

ride hard take risks
    All steel T-handle wrench tap on top while applying turning pressure. If you go the drill bit direction get a reverse bit and run your drill backwards.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

banned
    A reverse drill bit will not pull the bolt out. The heads are shallow, especially after being stripped. In addition, they also have significant force on them and that's not relieved until the head pops off. Due to that, the bolt will not back out.

A tap will not work, either.

ride hard take risks
    If one needs to drill a bolt or bolt head out a standard bit will snag the bolt to create the pilot causing the bolt to tighten. A reverse bit will also snag the bolt but is going in the unscrew direction working like a impact in a sense. Worst case it does not back out the bolt but you still remove the head which releases the pressure the top cap is applying to the bolt.

Work with the force not against.
    Formotion Products

banned
    Doesn't make a difference. The bolt will not tighten, especially since the Hope covers are stiff and offer little give. Mine popped right off.

An impact doesn't work on the principle of reversing. Impact tools have specs available on how many impacts per minute or second they generate. They work just by doing what their name implies: create impacts and overcome inertia of an object or coupled with high torques behind them, impact a stuck fastener repeatedly with shock torque. Or they can always be used to tighten...

BBW
    mtbr member
    those screws don't need that much strength to be removed. Have you tried a small (sunglass) flat screwdriver? make a little pressure with the rigth width one and you should be able to uncrew out of there

mtbr member
    thanks folks, will try increasingly more drastic measures untill it pops
    Rolling & Tumbling

ride hard take risks
    Guess all those moto caps I removed with striped or seized screws was an illusion.
    Formotion Products

banned
    Most of what you say here is most obviously a figment of booze and your imagination.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Most of what you say here is most obviously a figment of booze and your imagination.
    You betcha you forgot the acid, pot coke crack all the other good stuff.
    Formotion Products

mtbr member
    since you guys have the same intrest as me, I have also got squeeling back brake but not a squeel more like a braying sounds like a donkey and it vibrates the bike some much so that it vibrates the saddle :O its not a bad thing but its putting me off tried sanding the pads (hope sintered) then tried EBC (red) and after a while they did the same, i have a 180 hope floating rotor on my 575, and it happend when it was very dry on big decents. now it happens on little decents to.
    Rolling & Tumbling

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by miggy
    since you guys have the same intrest as me, I have also got squeeling back brake but not a squeel more like a braying sounds like a donkey and it vibrates the bike some much so that it vibrates the saddle :O its not a bad thing but its putting me off tried sanding the pads (hope sintered) then tried EBC (red) and after a while they did the same, i have a 180 hope floating rotor on my 575, and it happend when it was very dry on big decents. now it happens on little decents to.
    When you say floating I assume it's the two piece with rivets. Check the rivets that they are making a good sandwich, if the rivets get loose they will vibrate and the rotor can move around. Also check the caliper alignment making sure the rotor is in the center and both pistons are pushing the pads to the rotor at the same time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Formotion Products