Dat mah bike, punk!

Hope needs more dialing in

I just finished up a very nice but hammering ride-cold springs trail. my mono m4's are still in the "bed in" phase, but still had plenty of power. near the end of the 4.5 mile drop, there were a couple stream crossings where the m4's got wet. and here goes the wailing!

If they weren't wailing, they emitted a very high pitch sustained squeal when I applied the levers a tad. So i decided to grab more brake, to see if the rear m4 would stop the noise, but it changed from a high pitch squeal to an amazingly loud reverberating machinegun br-br-br-br sound. There was still plenty of power, but jesus, i couldn't hear my cowbell anymore--it got snuffed out by the squelching m4's! Lo, the reviewers were right! they need work!

Going to face the frame, get new pads(ones that won't cry). i'm not giving up on Hopes just yet, but I'm probably going Hayes or Magura for my next ride.

Just a report.
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Common problem

I think the loud whine and in some cases vibration, is more a common occurance than not. The problem is that the rotors we use on mtn bikes are so thin, they turn into tuning forks when the pads get wet & vib on the surface. The only possible fix is to choose a diff pad compound, perhaps from a third party. I was also wondering if there's a way to dampen the harmonics of the rotors by coating them with something to deaden vibration? Like dribbling hot melt glue or two part epoxy on the rotor spines?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

Dat mah bike, punk!
    Quote Originally Posted by HTail
    I think the loud whine and in some cases vibration, is more a common occurance than not. The problem is that the rotors we use on mtn bikes are so thin, they turn into tuning forks when the pads get wet & vib on the surface. The only possible fix is to choose a diff pad compound, perhaps from a third party. I was also wondering if there's a way to dampen the harmonics of the rotors by coating them with something to deaden vibration? Like dribbling hot melt glue or two part epoxy on the rotor spines?

hmm interesting suggestion. don't tennis raquets use "sponges" or rubber bumpers that deaden the vibration? that's more like shock vibration, not sustained vibration...maybe i'll put a small piece of sponge on the rotor and go for a wet ride...maybe that'll kill the resonance.
    every thread needs an uploaded image of one kind or another.

Not Bad
    I had the 6 pot Ti on the fronts and M$ on the rear of my G Spot and the noise was terrible.

Hope are without doubt a great brake, but unfortuantely are let down by details IMO.

I have the Moni Minis on my Salsa and they are fine and if the truth be known, in normal XC as competant as the setup on my G Spot!

However my new build, A Transition Preston FR will have Avid Juicy 7's on it for a change, looking forward to seeing how they will go or stop as it were!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I had similar noise issues with my Mono M4s until I faced the mounts. Now they're silent. Definitely give this a try first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    You have to face the frame on hopes it shouldn't even be an option not to do it.