Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Hope moto v2 Brakes (are they powerfull?)

hi every body.

I would like to know if the new Hope moto v2 brake is enough powerfull for dh?

I probably buy a pair of them but i'm not sure to do the best choice.

So if you have a new Hope moto v2 brake, tell me what do you think about them!!!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by T.PEDRO
    hi every body.

I would like to know if the new Hope moto v2 brake is enough powerfull for dh?

I probably buy a pair of them but i'm not sure to do the best choice.

So if you have a new Hope moto v2 brake, tell me what do you think about them!!!

Thanks!
    I haven't used them myself, but a couple of friends have (only) just got bikes with them fitted- for what it's worth they look the bollox.

A mag just tested brakes and said the V2 had the highest torque reading of all the brakes- the likes of Hayes and Gustav even, and they couldn't boil them on a dyno.

They are a bit heavier than the Gustav but thats because of the 300gram rotor and the fact they come fitted with heavy braided hose.

I think Hope produced this brake to stop everyone complaining about underperformance when in the Alps, and i'm sure it will have been tested there. You won't have any problems with DH.

Incidentally, the mag voted the Hayes nine HD the overall best choice, but i think that was on a price/ performance ratio, me- i'll stick with my Gustavs thanks as i can't imagine anything being better.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

Negative Rep Points!!!!
    I've had mine since New Years, but no time on them yet. I hope to get in a ride this weekend.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (95.5 KB, 1130 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (111.7 KB, 1003 views)
    • File Type: jpg 4.jpg (139.8 KB, 952 views)
    • File Type: jpg 5.jpg (137.1 KB, 956 views)
    • File Type: jpg 14.jpg (145.9 KB, 1071 views)
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    thanks man!
    you reassure me! I Hope they will powerfull because i didn't choose the ventilated disk in option!

Double-metric mtb man
    Dang....I may have to look at the V2's now too Here I was thinking that M4's were the way to go for my Clyde butt...

You guys don't make it easy to choose kit for my first build!!
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm just waiting for my new build. The guy who is doing it was just trying the v2's. They are stupidly powerful and over kill for this country he said. But a great alpine brake. I went for the new moto6 ti instead. It has a moto lever and the six pot calipers, so all the adjustment of a v2 lever but a six pot feel i hope.

banned
    I was reading into this and was wondering if the Moto is the brake in their line to knock off the M6ti and even possibly the M4.

I also noted a lot of the braking improvement in any hope brake can be had by using a different rotor with fewer holes and more surface area, not the varying ones like the 06 models. I did this with my Mono Mini, but wondered about this new Moto rotor or even the vented model.

banned
    I was reading into this and was wondering if the Moto is the brake in their line to knock off the M6ti and even possibly the M4.

I also noted a lot of the braking improvement in any hope brake can be had by using a different rotor with fewer holes and more surface area, not the varying ones like the 06 models. I did this with my Mono Mini, but wondered about this new Moto rotor or even the vented model.

cgd
    mtbr member
    hmmm, i know what your saying, i cant really see where the m6s role is seeing as the v2 without vented disks is only 4g heavier! and supposedly has a lot more power.

the m4 is a great trail brake and is 100 odd grammes lighter than the v2, so id say its future is reasonably safe. all imo of course...

Double-metric mtb man
    Yeah, I'll agree with you, cgd. The V2's look like something aimed at the Avid Codes and possibly phasing out the M6's. I think the M4's are pretty safe in a strong trail brake role.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

banned
    The M6 could possibly offer better modulation and less on-off feel, but I haven't tried the Moto enough to know. It could be possible Hope nailed it and got modulation and power tied together in a two piston caliper.

I remember reading Formula state the put the Oro up against other brakes and it was stronger, but they wouldn't offer what brakes were in the test. According to Hope, the Moto is more powerful than the M4 and M6, by as much as 15%, plus runs cooler. There seems to be some confusion, however about where it truly resides in the lineup. Between the Mini and M4? M4 and M6? Above?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    from hopes website

It's here!

The amazing new Moto V2 brake has arrived! The brake sits in the line up between the Mono M4 and Moto 6. Although is some 25% more powerful than either brake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Didn't formula do that test before the V2's were out?

banned
    Likely, but they are not providing details behind their comparative advertising on message boards. They could have gone up against Martas and B4's for all we know.

cgd
    mtbr member
    MBUK did a brake test with the aid of a dyno-meter a couple of months ago, this apparently gave accurate torque readings and some of the rotors glowed red under testing!

its at the gfs house, will post up the results tomorrow.

cgd
    mtbr member
    for what its worth;

shimano deore 65nm

quad qhd-1 sting 90nm

avid juicy five 88nm

hayes nine 95nm

hope mono mini 67nm

formula oro k24 80nm

hayes el camino 95nm

hope m4 75nm

magura marta 75nm

magura louise 75nm

avid juicy ultimate 90nm

shimano XTR 67nm

this was from what mountainbike, the results were all worked out with the same sized rotors.

MBUK, wmbs sister mag tested a range of brakes including the formula oro bianco with the same dynometer, unfortunatly not listing the torque results but went on to say;

"hopes new monster moto copes with the most extreme demands. power on the trail is huge and it recorded the largest torque on the dyno. feel is rock solid too, with subtle, consistant control thats a real boost in sketchy conditions."

it scored a 10/10 for power AND control. the only other brake to score top marks for control was the formula.
    Last edited by cgd; 03-18-2007 at 06:06 AM.

Single Speed Junkie
    Can't see the multi caliper brakes having that long of a life span left if the V2 pans out for Hope. With any luck it will since after having so many issues with the M4 and M6 we have stopped carrying the Hope line here in our shop, since they do not stand behind their product.

banned
    You mean the multi piston brakes.

What issues did you see with Hope's multi pistons and in what way didn't they stand behind them?

cgd
    mtbr member
    these new multi caliper brakes sound a little heavy and complicated to me, cant see them taking off........

Negative Rep Points!!!!

V2 Update

I've been getting a fair amount of time on my V2's for the last three weeks. Overall, I'm really pleased with them. They are a definite improvement in the setup that I was running before(M4180F/Mono Mini 160 rear).

The biggest gain is in the area of modulation. Perhaps, simply going up in rotor size would have accomplished something similar...I dunno. In the real steep and loose stuff, I don't have to exert as much force on the levers(especially the front) and I have not experienced that instant locking and loss of control that I would occasionally get with the 180M4.

I normally run DangerBoy levers on my brakes. But, the lever shape and feel of the new V2 is quite nice. I have no desire to swap them out.

I did have some issues initially with the front brake. I was getting a real bad grinding and weird vibration from the front end after a moderate descent. It seemed as if when ever heat got applied to the brake this scraping sensation would appear. It was really un-nerving and I was questioning if I had received a faulty brake or if had gone backwards in putting the V2 up front.

I took a dremel and beveled the rotor on both sides. The laser cut edges were quite sharp and I suspected they were catching the pads. This seemed to alieviate some of the sensation a bit, but not really a significant difference.

The rotors looked good, no gouging or scraping was apparent. The pads looked normal. And, yet I couldn't figure out what was happening.

I sanded the rotor and resurfaced the pads. Still no relief.

What I finally discovered, was that the rivets of the rotor, when warmed up, were expanding just enough to contact the caliper adapter and even the post mount of my Lyrik. I pulled out my trusty Dremel once again and removed a few thousandths of material from both pieces. That cured 90% of it. I still get a small amount of shuddering, but not consistently. I'd like to try another set of pads.

The rear, btw, has been flawless, and dead silent.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (137.2 KB, 759 views)
    Last edited by Aquaholic; 03-18-2007 at 10:13 AM.
    What the EFF is "All MOUNTAIN"???

banned
    Thanks for the review. These things seem really fantastic. I've been really happy with Hope brakes for the last couple seasons, enough that I now have 07's on the other bike. The bleeding is great, retraction, and low maintenance. I'm now thinking about running and M4 up front, just for the extra bit of capacity, then going to a 180 rear mini.

While I don't exactly need the power, it might be nice to go up in the line a bit, just once in a while.
    Last edited by Jerk_Chicken; 03-18-2007 at 11:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by cgd
    for what its worth;

shimano deore 65nm

quad qhd-1 sting 90nm

avid juicy five 88nm

hayes nine 95nm

hope mono mini 67nm

formula oro k24 80nm

hayes el camino 95nm

hope m4 75nm

magura marta 75nm

magura louise 75nm

avid juicy ultimate 90nm

shimano XTR 67nm

this was from what mountainbike, the results were all worked out with the same sized rotors.

MBUK, wmbs sister mag tested a range of brakes including the formula oro bianco with the same dynometer, unfortunatly not listing the torque results but went on to say;

"hopes new monster moto copes with the most extreme demands. power on the trail is huge and it recorded the largest torque on the dyno. feel is rock solid too, with subtle, consistant control thats a real boost in sketchy conditions."

it scored a 10/10 for power AND control. the only other brake to score top marks for control was the formula.
    Wow, these results are much different from that German magazines '07 results that was floating around here. If i remember right the Avid Ultimate tested near the bottom and '07 XTR were near the top.

Single Speed Junkie
    To answer some of the questions from PM or posts.
    When I refer to the multi caliper design this is for the M4 and M6 brakes. Have worked with Hope brakes for several years and have had them on several of my bikes. With the Mono M4 they were installed on my play bike and to quote a local rider from last group ride "that squeal would make baby Jesus cry". Other comments are not appropriate for this board. Have tried the brakes on a few other bikes, new pads and new rotors. Still no fix the darn things still squeal like there is not tomorrow. Called Hope for a bit of help and they blamed the frame, fork, even the hubs (one of which was the Hope Pro 2 set) for causing the noise I was experiencing. Faced the frames and Forks with their spot tool mic the washers out so everything was dead nuts on still squeal like hell. Either I got one of the worst sets of M4 made or they are just prone to issues.

Talked to Phil from Hope at Frostbike this year and same run around. Called up and same issue. I could buy an new set of Hopes to replace the set I have, but these have been an embarrassment from day one. If Hope were to stand behind their product and replace defective product we would consider stocking them once again.

banned
    Did you try and use them on another bike?

I had reservations about getting my Mono Minis, but they have been dead silent under all conditions, with only a couple squeaks for seconds throughout. They've been silent when others were screaming like teh bansheeez.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Did you try and use them on another bike?

I had reservations about getting my Mono Minis, but they have been dead silent under all conditions, with only a couple squeaks for seconds throughout. They've been silent when others were screaming like teh bansheeez.
    Had then on three different bikes, (FS Ventana, FS Titus, HT IF singlespeed), three different forks (Fox, Marzocchi, and White Brothers) several different hubs (King, Philwood, Hope, XT) and all screamed like a banshee getting out of hell. Common component was the M4 brakes. Testing was done all last season, through the winter now they are finally quiet as they have been removed from service. For those lucky enough to have a working set of M4 think that you are rather fortunate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast