mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Hope Mono Mini's vs. Magura Martas

I've had lots of issues with my two sets of Magura Martas. Granted both sets were purchased used and fairly cheaply, so I wasn't expecting perfect brakes. One set has a great working rear and a front that leaks (I think at the master cylinder)

This weekend, my rear on my other set was giving me all sorts of grief during the race. It was dragging badly. When I went to work on it I noticed that I was only getting one side of the caliper to move. I then went to "unstick" the piston and it was very "stuck". Then once I got it moving I noticed when I pushed one piston in, the other would move out and vice versa. Thinking I had got them both loose, I ran a bunch of fluid through it and just kept getting air. (I'll welcome Ideas if anybody has any)

but more to my question. A friend has a set of Hope Mono Minis that he took off a bike he purchased. He said they're spotless and practically brand new and he'd give me a good deal on them (less than $200 without rotors)
    I'm in a town with no shop so I pretty much order everything online. I see that the Mono Mini's are not longer in production and the reviews here on MTBR were up and down. Lots of people said they were great and reliable once set up, but a bit difficult to bleed and what not.
    Thoughts?

My one concern is learning to work on a new brake. I liked the idea of having all the same brakes so I can swap pads, use the same bleed kit/tools and fluid.
    His price is slightly outside of my budget, but would a similar condition set of Martas be a better purchase?

mtbr member
    Search steveuk he posted a minis overhaul thread a few years ago. It's very helpful.

Magura will be a stronger brake than Hope they both look good and light weight. I think Hope is easier to bleed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo28246
    Search steveuk he posted a minis overhaul thread a few years ago. It's very helpful.

Magura will be a stronger brake than Hope they both look good and light weight. I think Hope is easier to bleed.
    thanks for some info. I'll do a search just to get some background knowledge.