you said.. Member

Hope Mono Mini's vs Hayes Mag 8"

I''m new to the disk brake world (Avid Arch Rivals been stopping me for years on my hardtail) and I'm building up a new FS (Yeti 575/Vanilla) rig with Hydro Disks, within somewhat of a budget. My questions is which is the prefered brake, the Hope Mono Mini 160mm or the Hayes Mag 8"?

Do the 6.3" Hope Discs stop/modulate as well as a 8" Hayes? Would about brake fade? I'm not a huge guy, about 175lbs (12.5 stones for the Brits) so I don't need the 6 pots but I do quite a bit of agressive XC/downhill and I like to be able to stop without brake fade.

The actual ones I'm comparing are at:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BR611C01
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BR702C00

Thanks in advance,
    Crash

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Hope's have better modulation, the Hayes have better stopping power especially 8" v 160mm. The 6" Hayes have more stopping power than a 160mm Hope mini.
    Hayes tend to be very fade resistant, the Mono Hope's have a new steel insert in the piston to help prevent fade but I've yet to try them in hot weather.
    Which makes spares do your LBS keep, pads, etc? It's nice to be able to get hold of pads when needed.

you said.. Member
    I live in Souther California so LBS carries mostly Hayes. I can get to JensonUSA for pads but it is pretty far. I would not have a problem carrying around a spare set if it becomes an issue.

The hopes cost a little more but it looks like the are a high quility piece. Not to knock the Hayes but the Hopes have a less mass produced look, plus they are 1 piece calipers. I have been reading the reviews and I'm a little concerned with squealing. I don't really want to be the "stuck pig" on the mountain...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Pads are probably the only part you will ever need for any hydro disc brake, possibly down the line a few years you may need a new set of piston seals but maybe not.
    I'm thinking of getting a set of Avid juicys but am not sure if they are much better than my currrent Hayes Mags, the lever adjustments appeal but stories of sqeel don't. My Hayes are quiet, reliable, a little on the bulky side and lack some feel/modulation compared to the best but nothing that can't be lived with. They don't fit perfect with my SRAM X.9 shifters though, my problem is small-ish hands and getting the levers/shifters to fit me well.
    The Hope mono's on the other hand are light, mostly quiet-a big improvement over the old design, mostly reliable too -Hopes I've owned seem to need bleeding every once in a while to get the best out of them. I believe the fluid was suffering from too much heat the newer versions should be better on that score, and the modulation/lever feel is excellent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you do any serious elevation drops in your riding go with at least a 7" rotor in the front. The mono comes in a 180 mm which I run (weighing in at 155) and it's got plenty of power and great feel.

I have owned the monos and hayes and like the feel of the monos much more -- the hayes have always felt very on/off to me. That's a matter of personal preference though. Either brake will do a good job, but start with getting the rotor size right, then worry about which brand/model you are going to go with.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crash
    I''m new to the disk brake world (Avid Arch Rivals been stopping me for years on my hardtail) and I'm building up a new FS (Yeti 575/Vanilla) rig with Hydro Disks, within somewhat of a budget. My questions is which is the prefered brake, the Hope Mono Mini 160mm or the Hayes Mag 8"?

Do the 6.3" Hope Discs stop/modulate as well as a 8" Hayes? Would about brake fade? I'm not a huge guy, about 175lbs (12.5 stones for the Brits) so I don't need the 6 pots but I do quite a bit of agressive XC/downhill and I like to be able to stop without brake fade.

The actual ones I'm comparing are at:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BR611C01
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product.aspx?i=BR702C00

Thanks in advance,
    Crash

you said.. Member
    Right on, thanks for the info guys. You have been a lot of help.

The main reason I have not really been considering other options is that Jenson is building up my bike and I'm kinda limited to what they carry. I think that you are right on the disk size though. I noticed the Hope M4's come in 200mm, they are quite spendy ($215 per) but 4 pot brakes have definite cool factor. I'm going to see if I can swing those.

Crash