mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Hope Mono Mini's,

old 07's with shims sadly, only had them a few weeks at first no real issues nice brakes.

Thursday the front brake starting dragging badly, the pretty much locked on till the extend the bike wouldn't move seriously, push the pads back and 10mins later it's back to the same. ( rode home with no front brake, put Avid J3 on )

Rear brake tonight, some times perfect then stop riding for 2mins and they drag again, pump a few times and back to working normally, then 10mins later dragging again.

Yes there aligned perfectly, I put new pads in 2 weeks back with new springs, going to try old springs if I can find them.

Ideas ?? cause I've totally lost here, makes ZERO sense simply not logical.

ballbuster
    Overfilled brake fluid will do that. Brake fluid should be set with the pistons all the way retracted.

If you heat it up too much, it expands the pads into the rotors, making them get hotter, making the problem worse. If the fluid is overfilled, there is nowhere for it to expand when it heats up.

Either that, or the brake piston seals are crudded up and need a good cleaning. Dirty pistons and seals make the pistons stick. When you pull on the brake, it snaps at the lever when the piston finally moves with enough pressure.

Take the caliper off the bike, take out the pads, run a q-tip around them soaked in DOT brake fluid, around the edges of the pistons, push the pistons back in and around the edge where the seal sits. Mine got fouled up a few times, and that was the fix.

Think of it as an excuse to do a full bleed of the system.

BTW, the spring doesn't do anything except keep the pads from rattling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Over filled wouldn't of worked for 2 - 3 weeks with out an issue and without pumping up on long descents and I've had them melting hot a few times, like seriously over heating.

I even cleaned the pistons when I fitted new pads 2 weeks back, with DOT fluid.

Water getting in is the only thing that makes sense, but in 2 weeks with bike kept in the house and not been on a wet ride in about 2 weeks cause it's been dry here.

ODD!!

I did think the spring was just anti rattle!!