mtbr member
    Sep 2007

hope mono mini vs juicy ultimate vs magura marta sl

im turning my epic into a lighter racier bike and im going to switch to a lighter brake, i currently have juicy 5s, the juicy ultimate gets mixed reviews here, my shop just got in the hope mono minis, they look nice and are lightweight, for some reason the boss of the shop is not fond of the marta sl, he said there have been various complaints about them, im leaning towards the hope mono minis, what do you brake experts think?

mtbr member
    I have never used the Hope's but I have heard good things from a few friends who use them.

I decided to go with the Marta SL's and I love them. I read a couple complaints about them having lots of pad drag, but I have had no such problems like this. They were easy to setup and have been performing reliably for the last 3 or 4 months with no drag. Modulation is nice and they are stupid light

I should also note that aesthetically they take the cake!

mtbr member
    hope mono mini vs juicy ultimate vs magura marta sl

In that order for me.

Ive used all these brakes, and all are quality.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    yes they do look great, theyre all of a similar weight and all the same price, the magura's look the coolest but i may go with the bike shop bosses advice and go for the hope's

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I haven't used the avids, but I definitely like the Hope Mono Minis over the Maguras because of the feel at the lever. I just find it much more solid and confidence inspiring.

I will throw in though, that I just set up a pair of the Formula K24s with 7" rotors on my FS bike and they are simply amazing. They aren't bedded in and I should probably still bleed the rear brake, but these are the first brakes that truly let me use one finger for braking. If price isn't a factor for you, I'd look at the Formula Puros to save weight, but the K24s aren't too bad - definitley heavier than the ones you have listed though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    i checked out the puros in the review section, 18 reviews and a perfect 5, they must be good, ill check to see if my shop can get them and their price, thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    What hub are u using? its freeking awesome in red!..

Come on, dare me!
    I think the Puro are the best bet, although I haven't tried them. I have Magura Martas and Juicy Ultimate and here is the lowdown on them :

- The Martas are light, powerful and beautiful (imo), but they tend to degrade with time and need frequent bleeding. For the first 3 years, I was happy with them (except, as said, the mandatory 2-3 bleeds per season ), then I began to experience a failing master cylinder (left side) that went worse and worse with time. In the end, I had to replace the complete master, since Magura doesn't sell individual parts, which sells for around $175 CAN. Then, I had the same problem with the right master + a problem with the pistons not returning (pads stuck to the rotor). Despite many tries to resolve the situation, I had (have) to change the rear MC... All in all, that's a second pair of brakes... And after reading lots of comments from Martas long-term users, I see that I'm not the only one...

- The Juicy Ultimate are light (altough not as light as the Martas/35/40 g difference) but they miss the authoritative power of the Martas. As for the looks, it 50/50. I like the red accents and the carbon levers, but the whole brake looks more «molded» than «machined», like the Martas or Hope. With a 160/160 mm rotors combo, they provide enough power for XC, but as said, no brute power. Their strength relies in their reliability. Since the mandatory initial bleeding, I had no need to do anything. Plus, the contact point and reach can be set the way you like them, which is a must. The fact that I chose them other the Oro Puros, for instance, is mainly due to their affordability and availability (Formula customer service in Canada is located in BC).

The Oro Puros have good comments and everywhere I check, they seem to be reliable, powerful and I like the gold color, but that's personal.

mtbr member
    Formula Oro Puro
    Attached Images Attached Images

Surfing trails
    I've had Mono Minis on my hardtail for 2 years and love them. I changed out the regular hose to Hope braided steel brake lines and the modulation and lever feel is amazing (was good without the steel hose as well). LOVE those brakes. Never had any Juicys that didn't make me want a better set of brakes. In my opinion Avid makes the best mechanical brake but their hydros are lacking. Magura Marta SLs are also very good brakes and much better than Juicys but they tend to be a bit finicky. They need to be tweaked and adjusted more often than the Mono Minis (in my experience) where as the latter are more of a "set it and forget it". If weight is your only concern I'd go with the Marta SL - but for reliability and ease in bleeding I'd go with the Mono Mini.

Then again I have recently been trying and installing a lot of Formula brakes and I have nothing but positive things to say about them!!

mtbr member
    the avids are nice, but id go with the hopes. the maguras just feel waaaay too cheap, especially the carbon lever. it feels waaaay too flexy and cheap to be what they cost. love hopes...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    2008 XT
    Ti bolt kit (calipers, adapters and levers)
    Alligator windcutter rotors 6" Front / 5" Rear

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_bushrider
    2008 XT
    Ti bolt kit (calipers, adapters and levers)
    Alligator windcutter rotors 6" Front / 5" Rear
    I haven't seen the Windcutter/Serrated rotors in anything smaller than 160mm. Both online and in catalogs. I do know Nino is selling something similar in a 140mm... Though they are quite pricey.