mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Hope Mono MIni piston won't retract

I am putting some new Hope mono mini brakes on my bike -- pre-bled and ready to install. I got them set up, centered etc.. and then when I apply the brake, one of the pistons stays out and the pad rubs on the rotor. I take it apart, push it back where it belongs, reassemble and the same thing happens. I have done this a few times without any improvement. Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

...idios...
    Hope tends to supply with a perfect bleed, but it's one of the first thing that I would want to confirm if the pistons aren't behaving properly. Before that, though, try extending the pistons (with the pads out) as far as you can, dripping a little DOT (or silicon spray, if you have it) onto the piston sides, the pushing the back in with a plastic tyre lever. Repeat this a handful of times and you may find that the troublesome one frees up. If not, give it a bleed.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks, Steve. I will work on that this weekend.
    Is it also possible there is a little too much fluid in the system?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If the pistons push back fully there is no problem with there being too much fluid in the system.

Live Free or Ride!
    Give em a bleed job, sounds like you might have some air, weird for a Hope brake as they are usually spot on.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0