mtbr member
    Oct 2004

hope mono mini pads?

Hello

what are the best pads for the mono mini?
    i would like they not make noise like the standard one
    i ride xc and enduro

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    The new Hope pads are pretty good squeal wise (there is more graphite in the new pads) However... sintered (metallic) pads are more prone to squealing and require careful bedding and break-in to be silent. If you want a semi-metalic try Koolstop it is virtually silent nearly all of the time.

Sintered metal pads are the most powerful, the longest lasting and the least affected by adverse conditions. Normally all that is required (at least Hope's pads IMPE) is a careful bedding to get the pads to run virtually silent (with only an occasional squeak) When the pads are new take them to a reasonable hill (1/4-1/2 mi) road) where you have a good run out (ie dont need the brakes) and lightly apply the brakes (keep well below the pressure needed to make them squeak) after a few laps (climb and descend) you will notice you can apply more and more pressure and the brakes will still be completely silent. When you can do effortless (and silentt nose wheelies your brakes are bedded, though it will still take some time before they are completely broken in. If the brakes begin to squeal and you can't stop them by light pressure remove the pads (and optionally the rotors) an put them in the dishwasher (yes, with soap) when you reinstall re-bed the pads using the above technique (this is also a good solution to glazed rotors; give them a good spin with a scotch bright remove them and throw them in the dishwasher with the pads)

This (dishwasher) method was given to me for use on Hope sintered pads by one of the chaps at hope and has worked well for me your milage may vary.