Typical Mountain Biker

Hope Mono Mini more powerful then BB7's?

Are the Hope Mono Mini's significantly more powerful then BB7's?
    Last edited by chucke; 09-13-2006 at 04:02 PM.
    Dude with a single track mind.

Scito te ipsum
    Hope Mini's are hydraulic, BB7's are mechs. Hydros will undoubtably be more powerful but it would depend on your application. I wouldn't use mechs for downhill / freeride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by chucke
    Are the Hope Mono Mini's significantly more powerful then BB7's?
    Nope. BB7 have more power but less modulation.

However power/modulation can be changed/improved upon by changing the pads, rotor size, and cables/hoses.

Bodhisattva
    Impossible question to answer.
    Too many variables such as rotor size, pad compound & intended use.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    ive had the mini 6", and the BB7 6", the hope mini sucks compared to the avid. yes there may be a little more modulation in the hope, but that decreases stopping power. i can modulate my avid just as good. if you want stopping power and modulation, get the avids, if you want something that will stop you at some point, and costs lots of money, go hope

Typical Mountain Biker
    Thanks for the feedback.

Any thoughts on XT?

Or suggestions on others for around $300?
    Dude with a single track mind.

pronounced may-duh
    I would think that a cheap way to get extra power out of any system (if thats what your looking for) is to get a bigger rotor.

I know 2 guys who do freeride stuff and race downhill with avid BB7's

I have magura martas and they are plenty powerfull for me, very good modulation also. I'm more of an all around trail rider.

I have heard that louise FR are strong stoppers as well as the formula brakes.

We want... a shrubbery!
    I went from 6" BB7s to 6" Mono Minis on my race rig and I noticed significantly greater braking power. While there are still a lot of variables out there, I had my Avids set-up properly and I took the time to painstakingly set up the Mono Minis correctly. I'm 140# on an Epic, and the Mono Minis will stop me effortlessly--better than the BB7s IMO.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    I assume you're running BB7's already? One of the most important factors with these brakes is making sure your cables run smoothly. Once I put on full length, properly lubed cables it completely transformed my BB7's. If you haven't run full cables yet, try it before you go hydro, it may change your mind on the BB7's.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo
    ive had the mini 6", and the BB7 6", the hope mini sucks compared to the avid. yes there may be a little more modulation in the hope, but that decreases stopping power. i can modulate my avid just as good. if you want stopping power and modulation, get the avids, if you want something that will stop you at some point, and costs lots of money, go hope
    Case in point....
    I replaced the stock Mini pads with Goodridge organic pads. The front brake can now easily throw me over the bars with one finger.

Again, too many variables. But I'm a hydro guy because I like the feel and consistent power on long descents.
    Life....the original terminal illness

Music & Bikes
    I had BB7 on my new bike , I had them for two months, they are the worst piece of garabage I ever had on that bike....
    I bought Mono mini to replace them , and they are really good brakes , no comparaison.

To give you an idea , do you know CODA's brakes ? ( 1998 hydrolic brakes )
    Well I prefer them to the BB7.....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ