mtbr member
    Feb 2007

hope mono mini, changed over the years?

HI, I now interested in some hope mono minis. I've read through a number of reviews on this site and one thing I seems to go wrong with them is overheating and lack of reliability. is this the case? have they changed much since they were first introduced?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have a set of '07 minis and I love them. Much better feel than the Hayes Mags that I used previously and just plain look cool. If you use them for what they are intended they are a great brake.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    That's surprising. Whenever the Mono Minis come up in discussions here, most comments are that they have great modulation. Reliability and overheating don't seem to get much of a mention. The usual criticism of Hopes is that they can be a bit fiddly to set up initially.

Anyway, I've got either 07's or 06's and they have performed almost flawlessly. The one time they failed it was because I crashed the bike and tore a hose, which would have happened with most any hydraulic setup.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by womble
    That's surprising. Whenever the Mono Minis come up in discussions here, most comments are that they have great modulation. Reliability and overheating don't seem to get much of a mention. The usual criticism of Hopes is that they can be a bit fiddly to set up initially.
    Agreed! The only people who complain about Hope's lack of modulation and "terrible" fade resistance are the people who didn't buy the proper model for their intended use on the trail. Hope offers a huge range of brakes for many different riding styles. I had a set of '07 180/160 M4's w/floating rotors on my single speed race bike all last year, and although absolutely amazing... they were overkill for sure. I just swapped them out for a set of '07 160/160 Pink Mono Mini's which should do the job just fine... need to keep with the theme, ya know. The M4's will patiently wait for a proper bike. IMO, as far as aesthetics and functionality are concerned, Hope has some of the best stuff available at any price.

Last edited by Klein Freak; 02-01-2008 at 06:58 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm going to echo what Klein Freak said. If you purchase them for the intended application, then you'll be very happy. Don't buy a mono mini and think you're going to use it for downhill, you'll be disappointed! The mono M4 is a very good all around use brake. Take a look at it too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    cool thanks, does anyone know if an 04 model would be much different from an 07 model?

Thanks

banned
    I have:

2 06 Minis (one IS, one PM)
    2 07 Minis
    2 07 M4s
    1 05 M4
    1 07 V2

I believe the difference between the 04 and 07 Mini is the piston material being a low thermal transfer composite (change over in 05 or so). The 07 also has a different finish, some more machining for lightness, and a stiffer lever. The only big deal is the lever. Not hugely stiffer, but well noticeable.

Great brakes optimized for their application.

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I have '06 Moni Minis on my 'Dale. Initially, they had too much stopping power and I had to slightly misalign them to reduce the braking power of the front brake because they were dangerously sensitive and powerful! Now that I have put a few more miles on them I'm finding that the power is okay. I'm 160 lbs in riding weight and I'm running 160mm rotors. I may upgrade the front rotors to 180's or 185's for a little more power and modulation but I have not run into a situation where I felt that the braking power wasn't sufficient to get the job done, I just want a little more braking power reserves.

Another issue I have with them is that the rear brake squeals like a stabbed pig only when it gets hot, like when you are dragging the rear brake down a gnarly mile long downhill section that drops you 500 feet in elevation. I don't know if my front brake squeals because I don't use it as much off road. Certainly not enough to heat it up like I do my rear brake.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PCC
    I have '06 Moni Minis on my 'Dale. Initially, they had too much stopping power and I had to slightly misalign them to reduce the braking power of the front brake because they were dangerously sensitive and powerful! Now that I have put a few more miles on them I'm finding that the power is okay. I'm 160 lbs in riding weight and I'm running 160mm rotors. I may upgrade the front rotors to 180's or 185's for a little more power and modulation but I have not run into a situation where I felt that the braking power wasn't sufficient to get the job done, I just want a little more braking power reserves.

Another issue I have with them is that the rear brake squeals like a stabbed pig only when it gets hot, like when you are dragging the rear brake down a gnarly mile long downhill section that drops you 500 feet in elevation. I don't know if my front brake squeals because I don't use it as much off road. Certainly not enough to heat it up like I do my rear brake.
    Probably because they are intentionally misaligned.

...idios...
    PCC, as JC correctly points out, your brakes squeal because you've misalgned the calipers. The easiest (and correct) way to adjust the feel of the brakes is to adjust the lever position. You can insert a 2mm Allen key into the pin held by the brass barrel at the base of the lever. I would suggest trying to first turn it anti-clockwise to bring it closer to the bar.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

PCC
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Actually, my front caliper is misaligned to reduce the braking power so that I don't have the front wheel wash out on me on the dirt from applying the brake (more modulation this way, though I'm probably going to align it). The rear has always been properly aligned according to the manual. In other words, when I apply the front brake the rotor moves over about one half of a millimeter. The rear rotor does not move or moves an imperceptible amount. I don't drag the front brake so I don't know if it will squeal when it gets really hot but I do tend to drag the rear brake and it squeals pretty bad.

banned
    The brakes should never be misaligned, ever. If you have too much power, you have to do alternate things, such as reducing rotor size, changing compounds, or moving to a different brake. A brake should never be misaligned for any reason. This is abuse of the equipment, that will lead to warped rotors, slanted pads, wear on the caliper seals, and wear on the pistons.

My suggestion is to follow some suggestions to start from the beginning with these brakes, reinstall and bleed from the ground up, and you might need new pads up front. Myself and/or others are always available to help. The Minis are known to be well modulating brakes, so perhaps this is a technique issue, rider/bike weight issue, compound, or perhaps your lever throw is all screwed up, not allowing enough throw before pad engagement, reducing modulation. From your posts, it sounds like your setup is screwed all around.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    seconded, purposely misaligning your brakes is a bad idea.