mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Hope Mono Mini Why No Bite?

I have a hope mono mini fitted to the rear of my bike, 160mm float rotor, and to be honest its rubbish!, but why?

Lever travel is massive before I get any bite and when I do eventually get bite, its rubbish and not even powerful enough to lock the rear up regardless of speed!

Does anyone know of a solution? Or if something may be damaged, i.e Only one piston operating etc And how do I check this?

I have bled and bled and bled the system so I dont think the issue is air!

The problem remains regardless of pad life.

(On the flip side of this I run an M4 Mono up front that is awesome, short lever travel, regardless of pad wear and big stopping power!)

All help appreciated

Commit or eat sh!t
    Clean the rotors. Change the pads. Check the hose for leaks or kinks. Get a pro to bleed the brakes.

narCOTIC
    If the lever travels too far before you get bite, i'd say it was a bleed problem. Hopes aren't easy to bleed well, so if your LBS is any good, have them take a look and bleed them

...idios...
    Give 'em a bleed, again. Here's how to...

Are you also certain that there's no contamination on the pads?

Does the rotor flex when you apply the lever?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

wyrd bi ful rd
    the fact that there is lever travel before there is any bite ... i think there is some air in the system ...

Hope are as easy to bleed as Shimanos ... you pour the fluid in at the reservoir and you start pumping ... and get the fluid through the other end, couple of taps on the calipers to dislodge any bubbles ... the fluid actually flows through the system itself ... make sure you do not let the fluid in the reservoir reach the bottom of the reservoir ... just tighten the nipple if you are unable to get to fresh fluid in the reservoir in time ... keep tapping until there is not bubbles coming out of the bleed nipple hose ... and once you tighten the bleed nipple, the lever should be firm ...

please follow the guide from steveUK to the letter ...