Amphibious Technologies

Hope Mono M4 & 6Ti vs Avid Mech

OK, I am seriously considering switching my current set-up (Avid Mech 8" front, 7" rear) to 6Ti 8" front and M4 7" rear. Anyone have experience using both. Do you think I should switch?

"El Whatever"

Got the bux???

Go for it!!!

Hardly you will find any better brake than ol'Hopes

I haven't used any of the Hopes but I had heard nothing but good things about them
    Check my Site

mtbr remember
    There is no comparison - The mono6ti's are ridiculous, almost overkill. If you can afford them, get'em no questions asked. I have a monoM4 front an monomini rear and I love them. The best modulation and lever feel you will find. Although, don't know if you care, but the rotors will be different front and rear. It might look goofy with the alu spidered 6ti rotor(also ridiculously expensive) and the normal ss mono4 rear rotor, then again it might look pretty trick? You will notice a huge difference.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Amphibious Technologies
    Thanks for the info. How about the Juicy 7s? Anyone tried these brakes? If so let me know what you think, they are selling to $155 a set now....

mtbr remember
    A couple of my friends have juicy 7's on their rides (jamis xlt, sc heckler) and they are definetly worth all the praise. I really like them, pretty powerful, but I still wouldn't trade my Monos for a set. If I were going to get a dual piston like that, I would wait for the El Caminos. They will probably be pretty pricey when they first hit the market, but will drop like the juicys. The only complaint my friends have about the juicy's is the plastic pad adjustment knob (red one) breaks off easy (and the levers bend easily, but that will happen with most brakes in a crash). That is probably why the Hayes are going to be steel.
    Seriously, if your looking to just switch from cable to hydro brakes, The original Hayes G2 mag or 9 is an excellent value. You will probably be able to find a set for under $200. I still have a set of HFXmags on another of my bikes and they are very reliable, and they work good too. Parts are easy to find, and bleeding is easy - probably one reason why you see so many. They have a lot of power w/ the right pads, but modulation isn't as good (well I was spoiled after riding Hopes).
    Just something to think about, unless you desire the cutting edge tech features and component drool factor.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Amphibious Technologies

Smile

Thanks for the info...I will get myself a set of Hopes....

"El Whatever"

Congrats!!!!!

... you lucky SOB!!!

That set costs about what I can (read I'm saving) spend on a new frame!!

Lucky, Lucky... aaawwhhh I feel envy... the good kind of envy.
    Check my Site

mtbr remember
    yeah, ridiculous how much the good stuff is
    Not to push a particular store, but just to let you know- the best prices I've seen on Hope monos are at Universal Cycles, and Monk-a-moo.
    When you get the hopes just make sure everything is tight - banjo bolts, bleed screw, reservoir cap, etc. before you install - dot 5 brake fluid is corrosive, and if you get a set in a bag that is already wet- that means your pads will probably be contaminated and ruined- just a tip, I didn't have the problem myself, but have heard from people who have.
    I would like to get a set (or at least the front) of the mono6ti for another bike I'm building, but that won't be until next year at teh earliest- I have no $$ and snowboarding season is on the horizon.
    Schralp it Heavy.

Amphibious Technologies
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeSATORI
    yeah, ridiculous how much the good stuff is
    Not to push a particular store, but just to let you know- the best prices I've seen on Hope monos are at Universal Cycles, and Monk-a-moo.
    When you get the hopes just make sure everything is tight - banjo bolts, bleed screw, reservoir cap, etc. before you install - dot 5 brake fluid is corrosive, and if you get a set in a bag that is already wet- that means your pads will probably be contaminated and ruined- just a tip, I didn't have the problem myself, but have heard from people who have.
    I would like to get a set (or at least the front) of the mono6ti for another bike I'm building, but that won't be until next year at teh earliest- I have no $$ and snowboarding season is on the horizon.
    Thanks Again!!! I'll make sure bolts are tight...My LBS will actually give it to me for less than listed at Universalcycles and just $10 more (after tax) than monkamoo. So I'll get it from them.

Amphibious Technologies

... and if we just ... Here are some pics

Hey guys,

Installed the brakes yesterday and rode them today. I can't believe how much modulation and power these brakes have...but they squeal like hell though. I don't really mind 'coz it only squeals when you brake at low speed.

Here are some pics, just thought I'd share:

Last edited by SCUBAPRO; 09-18-2004 at 07:29 PM.

"El Whatever"
    Cool, Cool, Cool, plain cool....
    Check my Site