Thread: Hope Mono M4

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Hope Mono M4

Hello, does anyone still use these brakes. I bought a used bike that has these . The front brake lever pulls all the way to the bar, low on fluid. The rear rubs badly, I removed the pads and they were worn uneven down to the rivet. Is it worth the trouble to bleed and replace the pads . Being 4 years old. thanks Rich

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    I use them on two bikes. I love them. Is a bit of a pain with the IS vs post mount.

...idios...
    A bleed (how to) and complete fluid flush might sort them out, or you might need to overhaul the calipers (how to). As with all Hopes, they're easy to bleed, service and maintain.

No fancy bleed kit needed, so it'll cost you the price of some brake fluid and short length of plastic hose. A lever/caliper overhaul kit is about $20.

Whether or not you deem it worthwhile to overhaul the brakes is a matter for you to decide, but the Mono M4 is still one of the best all-round brakes on the market, even in its original design. New lever designs have improved the brake somewhat, but there aren't many alternatives on the market which offer the same performance, quality and serviceability as the M4, in my opinion.

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member

Bleed em!

I bought a used bike that has M4s on it and the rear was spongy and weak, I read the above article, followed the instructions and these brakes have been the best I've ever used.

≈ > ♥
    ^ Everybody is wrong! Those brakes suck...

Send them to me, I'll get rid of them for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    thank you all, I will definitely do the bleeding and the overhaul. This feedback and directions were exactly what I was looking for. Rich

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Which are the best pads to puchase for dry cond.. There are different compounds I see on Ebay. Thanks Rich

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks
    Which are the best pads to puchase for dry cond.. There are different compounds I see on Ebay. Thanks Rich
    I'd start out with Hope Organic pads, they come with a new pin (always nice to have a spare) and spring, bed in easy, and alway quiet.

I use the metallic pads because they last a lot longer. Shimano m755 (not m765 or m775) pads work well but currently using NOS Koolstop ks-d600 for grimeca,shimano, sram brakes. My lbs had box full of them for $8pr.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks, I will give the organic a try. When I removed the old pads, on the floor was a small fork shaped piece of metal. Maybe a shim? Rich

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by rjedoaks
    Thanks, I will give the organic a try. When I removed the old pads, on the floor was a small fork shaped piece of metal. Maybe a shim? Rich
    remnants of of the old spring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I removed the front pads, they are Hope in pretty good shape. / rear are Shimano, like you said, can be used. The little fork I don't think is part of a spring. I think it was used as a shim for the caliper mounting, and I did not see it until I removed the pads. The spring clip for the Shimano pads are single and the Hope are attached together. Thanks Rich

Members who have read this thread: 0