the bomb

New question here. hope mini vs mono mini

Can anyone give me a breakdown of the differences between the Hope mini and the hope mono mini. They look pretty damn similar.

Also, I'm looking at my first disk brake. I will be running front only to start. What size rotor? I have a titus loco moto, I'm 130lbs and mostly trail ride. No serious downhill really and I don't tend to carry a lot of speed (although that might change with disks

thanks
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

Feeding your addiction
    Quote Originally Posted by pfunk
    Can anyone give me a breakdown of the differences between the Hope mini and the hope mono mini. They look pretty damn similar.

Also, I'm looking at my first disk brake. I will be running front only to start. What size rotor? I have a titus loco moto, I'm 130lbs and mostly trail ride. No serious downhill really and I don't tend to carry a lot of speed (although that might change with disks

thanks
    The lever is the same, but the caliper is a lot different. Biggest difference is that the older Mini had a two piece caliper held together by bolts. The new 1 piece caliper is stiffer, which translates to more power, and is less likely to leak than the older ones. I went from the Mini to the Mono Mini and could definitely tell a difference in power and feel, get the Mono. 160 in front will be plenty for your weight.
    Larry Mettler
    http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

UKMac
    I haven't noticed any performance difference myself; they both modulate very well and have plenty of power for me. As with any disc brake, set up is critical. The folks I've known that complain about their disc brakes by and large have not taken the time to set them up properly.

Having said that I would definitely go with the Monos since they are one piece, which eliminates one potential problem with the original Minis which is the caliper halves separating (I've never seen this, but some people have).

I only have two minor complaints with the Monos: First, the pad retaining pin is only held in with a cotter pin unlike the old Minis which used a threaded retaining pin with a cotter pin as backup. Probably not a problem, but I liked the redundancy. Second, the pads are a bit more difficult to get in and out because they don't extend out of the caliper as much as with the old Minis. Neither of these wenges would keep me from buying the Monos

mtbr member
    Defenitly go for the new Mono Mini's if you have the choice. They are a work of art, looks and performance.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by pfunk

thanks
    As Larry mentioned, the physical differences between the Mono and the Mini are strictly in the caliper and rotors. They share the same lever. The new Mono Mini has a beautiful single-piece caliper vs the 2-piece of the Mini. Although the 2-piece design never gave me a problem, with the bike on the stand, I could give the brake lever and really hard pull and I could see tiny drops of fluid seeping from the seam between the two caliper halves. I never noticed any issues on the trail.

Weight difference between the two are as follows:

2004 Hope Mono Minis (160/140mm):
    1 - Front brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 270g
    2 - Front 160mm rotor with bolts = 118g
    3 - Rear brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 282g
    4 - Rear 140mm rotor with bolts = 100g
    Total = 770g/set

My previous Minis were

2002 Hope Mono Minis (165/145mm):

1 - Front brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 271g
    2 - Front 165mm rotor with bolts = 147g
    3 - Rear brake (lever, full-length line, fluid, caliper, bolts, pads) = 287g
    4 - Rear 145mm rotor with bolts = 118g
    Total = 823g/set (~53g/set heavier than the Monos)

I'd definitely go with the Monos over the Minis. The Monos have a slightly better feel to them, which may be attributed to the single piece caliper.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

the bomb

sweet, thanks everybody

I'll likely go with the mono. Only found the old mini at one place. good dirt to all
    Last edited by pfunk; 06-07-2004 at 08:58 AM. Reason: spelling damnit
    Womanhood ain't for sissies.- oldbroad

mtbr remember
    You can buy little braces to hold regular Minis together from Speedgoat.com I think.
    Schralp it Heavy.