-> SickLines.com <-

Hope Mini question

Thinking about getting some Hope mini's (not the mono's) for one of my spare bikes and i was wondering what kind of braking power these things pack? Lock up easily?

165mm front,
    145mm rear

keep the shiny side up!
    lock up easy is a terrible way to gauge how good a break is. if you want lock up easy, v-brakes will be great for you.
    as far as the minis, great brakes. good power and great modulation. the hopes have one of the best lever feels of any hydraulic disk brakes. the only problem with hopes is that they tend to be noisy. other than that, quality and reliability are fantastic.

-> SickLines.com <-
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat_Head
    lock up easy is a terrible way to gauge how good a break is. if you want lock up easy, v-brakes will be great for you.
    as far as the minis, great brakes. good power and great modulation. the hopes have one of the best lever feels of any hydraulic disk brakes. the only problem with hopes is that they tend to be noisy. other than that, quality and reliability are fantastic.
    I don't want it to lock up easily, i guess it came off bad. I basically didn't want it to be like the on/off feel of like a hayes. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb_biker
    Thinking about getting some Hope mini's (not the mono's) for one of my spare bikes and i was wondering what kind of braking power these things pack? Lock up easily?

165mm front,
    145mm rear
    I have the mini's on my Blur, and I have no problems with them. Powerful, and easy to modulate, lightweight. They are powerful enough to use with one finger.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Good job! Classic XC setup....

I'm running a 165/145 Mini combo on my Litespeed HT which is a classic XC setup. Excellent modulation and good power for a two pot XC specific caliper. This combo works great 99% of the time. However, I must warn you that the small (145mm) rear set-up will overheat and fade badly on long, steep descents. If you're not racing and frame clearance will allow, I'd recommend a 165mm setup in the rear for better all-mountain performance. Also, get the Speedgoat Mini Power Clamps. These brake are notorious for tortional separation of the caliper halves, which can lead to fluid leaking and noticeable reduction in power during hard braking. Although Hope would never admit it, this is why I believe they redesigned the Mini to be a one-piece caliper. One last thing, these brakes can be a pain to setup, but once setup they are great stoppers.

Good Luck,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.