mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope Mini disc rotor thickness?

Hi folks, first post on this board...

Simple question - I'm getting a set of Hope Mini rotors custom made (titanium) - can anyone tell me the needed rotor thickness? 1.8/1.85/2mm? It's a 165mm rotor, if it makes any difference.

Heck, while I'm here, might as well ask, has anyone solved the disc brake pad problem for ti rotors yet?

WAWE
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by discolite
    Simple question - I'm getting a set of Hope Mini rotors custom made (titanium) - can anyone tell me the needed rotor thickness? 1.8/1.85/2mm? It's a 165mm rotor, if it makes any difference.
    I just measured 1.93mm on a brand-new never-used never-mounted rotor.

ballbuster

I think somebody here...

Heck, while I'm here, might as well ask, has anyone solved the disc brake pad problem for ti rotors yet?
    ... mentioned that Ti is not a good material to make rotors, mainly because it can't dissipate heat too well, and it is hard to find a material to make pads that will actually get a grip on it to do the stopping.

If you do this, please let us know how it goes. I would be interested in how much weight savings there would be vs. loss in braking power.

I hear the Stans alu rotors and pads work pretty well. There is a small loss of braking power, but the rotors weigh a lot less than Stainless Steel.

banned
    Jan 2004

Hopes and Maguras are the only rotors speced at 2mm, the...

...actual may be a tad off as mentioned. Everyone else uses 1.7-1.8mm.

I agree with what was said about Ti rotors not being such a good idea though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Alrighty, 2.0mm it is...

Thanks folks!

I've actually been using a ti rotor for my Hope Mini rear brake. Truth be told it isn't fantastic. Where you'd normally expect it to stop on a dime, it takes a little bit longer to grip solid, you can hear the pad still fighting for grip for maybe 0.5-1 seconds when going from 20 to 0 mph on tarmac. This is with the stock Hope pads, 145mm rotor. It's about 45 grams lighter than stock rotors.

I wouldn't use it on the trails, wouldn't trust it unless someone comes up with the right pad compound. However, this is for a touring/commuting bike which I go longish distances on so I like it light (weenie at heart), it suffices for the gradual slow downs to the traffic lights, and I always keep one rotor as the standard steel for those gotta-stop-NOW moments.

Notubes' Stan has suggested his red pads may offer more grip than most, even with a ti rotor - anyone has thoughts on this? What's the diff between his red and green ones anyway?

Also, doing some quick googling shows that other vehicle industries do have titanium rotor disc pads. Anyone have a clue on the materials they use for these?

nightriding is fun !
    Can anyone give me feedback on using Stans' alu rotors? How do they compare to standard steel rotors and what about expected lifetime of the rotors?
    Titanium or Bust !

"El Whatever"
    Basically.... you'd have to design the brake around the rotor material when using titanium.

Actually there are some Ti brakes made of intermetallic Ti. It has a high friction surface and it would eat pads at an incredible rate if the braking surface is too narrow.

Problem with Ti rotors is the same as with carbon rotors... they don't work very well until they are hot enough. That's why they are used more in racing cars than any other application.

As far as for the pads, they use the same pads made for cast iron rotors but the rotors has to have a very different design than normal rotors.
    Check my Site

I love Pisgah
    I've used a front 160mm alot..with Hayes...Avids...and Formula B4SLs and Pros. Heat up quick, so they don't like loooong descents like Pisgah. Work fine for racing, as long as its not too muddy. Been on one for 1.5yr and its still going strong(I use a steel in the mud races). They use specl pads. The std pads WILL eat them up, so don't even think about it. If you don't race, they're use is questional at best IMHO.

works sweet with my ti spoked wheels

I love Pisgah
    Hes asking about alum rotors..not ti. Where'd ti come from?

nightriding is fun !
    Thanks Duckman. So for my usual 50+(miles) marathon stuff, alu rotors are not the ticket. And neither are Ti rotors it would seem, unless you constantly rub the brakes to keep them on temperature.

As far as Alu rotors go, I know Cannondales XC team uses them and they had NO brakes left last Sunday in Calgary after a heavy downpour during the race (like you said... "as long as it's not too muddy" ). Paulissen had to WALK down every downhill... But I'm sure they use custom lightweight rotors and special pads because they change the rotors and pads for every race...

I scanned a pic of them, its the 140mm rear rotor :
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Titanium or Bust !