mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope Mini disassembly.

I think that my Hope minis are cruded up from a recent ride. Is is difficult to take the calipers apart? More importantly, is it hard to get it back together? Or is there an easier way to clean them up? the pistons are not wanting to retract and I thinking it could be crude form river crossings and mud. Thanks for any help.

UKMac

No it's not hard but

I doubt very much that you need to take them apart. Hope Minis shouldn't need opening very often, certainly not after one muddy ride. I've ridden by Minis in mud for two years and recently opened them to inspect the seals. To my surprise they were completely clean inside and the seals were in perfect condition.

If the pistons are not retracting, try removing the pads and extending them one at a time by squeezing the lever while holding the other piston in place with screwdriver or tire lever, then push it back in. Repeat this five or six times, then switch to the other side.

If this doesn't help, try lubing the pistons with silicone plumbing lube from a plumbing supply shop (normal home improvement shops in the UK don't have it so you need to go to a contractor's supply shop. Iím not sure where to get it in the US). This is advice that Hope UK has given me over the phone, and it has worked like a charm for me.

I hope this helps. Good luck.