Thread: Hope M4 or V2?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Hope M4 or V2?

So assuming a bigger dude (230 lbs.) riding in BC, lots of descending, etc. etc. which is the more capable brake, the Hope M4 or V2? Logic says to me that 4 pistons equals more pad area equals more friction equals more better. However, I've read that the M4 slots between the X2 and V2 as far as intended purpose, making the V2 the DH brake?

Anyway, if anyone can clarify, that would be much appreciated.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by FullMonty
    So assuming a bigger dude (230 lbs.) riding in BC, lots of descending, etc. etc. which is the more capable brake, the Hope M4 or V2? Logic says to me that 4 pistons equals more pad area equals more friction equals more better. However, I've read that the M4 slots between the X2 and V2 as far as intended purpose, making the V2 the DH brake?

Anyway, if anyone can clarify, that would be much appreciated.
    V2 no question. I have a set of V2s coming for my Highline and M4s coming for my Spot. The M4 is a better AM, all around brake, the V2 is reported as one of the best DH brakes made.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

not so super...
    The V2 is a very powerful yet easy to modulate brake. I've run it on a 5.5 Spot and my Sultan with great results (standard floating rotor).
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    The V2 will stop you. NOW. Mine were absolute overkill for the riding I do and my Megas modulate much better but if I were bigger/faster/in need of a brake to stake my life on I would vote V2s hands down.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

banned
    Stretch also hasn't related his weight to modulation, as they are related.

I use both, the v2, and m4. Both are fantastic and have their uses. The V2 is way more powerful than the m4 and has more fade resistance, which could be good for a bigger rider. It also is controllable power, so I wouldn't worry about modulation, as Stretch implied. I ride lighter and I use the V2 203 and have no problems with modulation, although I use a M4 183 in the back. Excellent combo.

mtbr member
    Good point. I weigh 185 w/o gear and although I could adjust the V2s to modulate they hit a point for me where they grabbed and stopped. I did reference "the riding I do", we don't have long steep sections around here so I simply did not need that amount of stopping force.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX