mtbr member

Hope M4 question

SO,

I bought some used m4s and it appears they have pro levers without the dial at the top...instead a cap where the bleed kit attaches..hope's website that open and closed calipers/lever combo (either way) will result in brake failure....without the dial it seems these would be an open system or a closed system...will I die riding them?

mtbr member

Do you have pics...?

To my knowledge the M4s have always been an open system. The C2s were closed and the little dial could be used to fine tune pad engagement. If they were made in the last few years they are likely an open system. Do they have the "mini" lever? Were you aware the levers and calipers may be mismatched? I don't know the definitive answer but my guess is that it is a non-starter.

Will you perish? That's up to you...but I don't think the brakes will be the root cause if you set them up right initially. If you are not comfortable working on them yourself find a LBS that will - check to see if they've worked with Hopes before. Hydros are surprisingly easily, albeit a bit messy depending on brand/bleed kit, to work on.

If nothing else - take your questions to Hope directly http://www.hopetech.com - they always answer their phones. Hope might do you a solid and get you the proper levers for your calipers at a decent price.

Sean
    Last edited by Soupboy; 06-29-2004 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Follow up
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mtbr member

The risk of buying used

They came with a bleed kit and all that, however the levers are not minis, and look like the pro levers w/o the dial...who knows? I thought they had minis but only got a photo of the calipers b4 purchasing...oh well...thanks for the reply...I may sell them and get some haye s or a vids...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey man,
    Sounds like you have a set of Enduro 4's. M4's got their name because they came with the Mini lever, hence the reason for the M in its name. It also sounds like you have the right levers as well. The open 4 piston systems lever never had an adjustment dial. It was basically a cap for the brake fluid resevoir, even though it looked like the closed systems lever with the adjustment dial. The enduro 4 used the pro lever which fits your description of the lever that you have. Without seeing an actual pic of what you have I'd summise by saying that from what you have said in your post, it'd be a safe bet that these brakes have the correct levers on them.

Catch ya later.......Joe

mtbr member

Sweet!

Thanks for the info!

That means I have the right bloody levers....were the m4 calipers the same as the enduros?

CHeers, Adrian

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal
    Thanks for the info!

That means I have the right bloody levers....were the m4 calipers the same as the enduros?

CHeers, Adrian
    Similar but not the same. For the M4's, Hope changed the diameter of the caliper pistons...so it would work with the Mini lever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by arandal
    Thanks for the info!

CHeers, Adrian
    Hey Adrian,
    Anytime man, glad I could help.

I'm fairly certain that the Enduro calipers were very similar to the M4's in terms of shape, looks, dimensions & share the same 4 piston/4 pad configuration. But, their website says that the M4's were redesigned to allow the use of the Mini lever. If you email Hope they'd be able to tell you for certain whether or not the levers are interchangeable between the Enduro's & the M4's. www.hopetech.com

I have a set of M4's on my trail bike & a set of the new Mono 6's for my DH frame which is still a nice pile of parts at the moment. You'll be very happy with these brakes, take the time to have them setup properly & face your disc brake tabs on your frame &/or fork if necessary & you'll have one deadly set of stoppers, these things are awesomely powerful.

Good luck!!

Catch ya later........Joe