mtbr member
    May 2013

Upset Hope M4 Pad Clearance

Just put new Hope M4 brakes on my bike. However, I'm having a real hard time with pad clearance on the front brake. Almost seems like the brake is not quite sitting on the fork straight. My previous Shimanos never had this problem. I've let out a little fluid to take pressure off the pads, but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?

mtbr member
    Did you reset the pistons in the caliper?
    Did you check out Hope's "how to" videos for pad adjustment?
    Usually a piston reset and following Hope's instruction on how to center the pads takes care of it.
    Reset the pistons so they are flush in the caliper and then follow the instructions in the video if you haven't done so already.

Hope Technology - Caliper/Pistons Centralise - YouTube

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the reply Norman. I did reset pistons and make sure the caliper was centerized. Finally I was able to get the pads to quite rubbing on the rotor. However, there is less than a millimeter between the pads and the rotor. If anything moves ever so slightly, or the rotor doesn't stay true it will rub again. Is there any other way to get more space for the pads? Also would getting a Hope floating rotor help at all?

Plays with tools
    most brakes are running 1/2 a mm of clearance between pad and rotor. Floating rotor would help eliminate true drag from the setup but it's not going to keep it from contacting the pads and making a bit of noise once in a while.

mtbr member
    Clearance sounds ideal on a freshly reset caliper + fresh new brake pads.
    Go ride it for a while and see what it's like out on the trail. You may find you have no problem at all.
    You may need to reset the caliper + pistons again after a few rides and the pads wear a bit, but you should be good after that.
    Rotors need truing from time to time, so that's just part of the game.
    Specific to rotors, some are wider than others and some have a taller braking track than others, but there's some cross compatibility. I'd ride the bike for a while before thinking about changing rotors unless you immediately see fitment problems with your current rotors.
    I like Hope rotors and in my experience, they can last a very long time when used with Hope brakes and Hope pads
    There's lots of adjustability in the feel of the Hope brake levers, so you should be able to dial in the feel you like even with the minimal initial clearance you see between pad and rotor.
    On my newer Hope V2s with a fresh bleed +reset pistons +fresh pads, I end up with pads being very close to the rotor as well.
    One trait of Hope brakes that you may experience after some use-If a mushy lever or longer lever pull develops and you know your bleed is good-You just need to reset the caliper/pistons so that everything is parallel again and the pads contact the rotors evenly and at the same time.
    The new Hope tech levers will let you know by feel if things aren't lined up properly between pad and rotor-huge difference in lever feel in my experience between proper set up and a less than ideal set up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lhovden View Post
    Just put new Hope M4 brakes on my bike. However, I'm having a real hard time with pad clearance on the front brake. Almost seems like the brake is not quite sitting on the fork straight. My previous Shimanos never had this problem. I've let out a little fluid to take pressure off the pads, but it doesn't seem to help. Anyone else had this issue or know how to fix it?
    I have never owned any brakes other than Hope and I understand your pain. I hate brake rub. I have found that opening up the spring (between the pads) will help increase the clearance. I don't go overboard with bending the spring but just enough to open up the clearance. I have zero rub but of course the lever will travel a little further before rotor contact is made. Works for me but other may have different results.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    What do you mean by open up the spring between the pads? This?Name:  BrakePads.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  56.5 KB

By opening it do you meant stretch it out?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ^Don't open the tongs of the "fork". Open the "clamshell".

mtbr member
    May 2013
    So this area?

Name:  BrakePads.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  56.8 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yep. But I've found that this just stops the pads from rattling around.