2007 Nomad
    2007 Fox 36 Talas

Current brake setup:
    Avid Juicy 7's with 185mm rotors in front and back

Purchased brake setup:
    (1) 2006 Hope Mono 4 with 200mm floating rotor
    (1) 2006 Hope Mono 6 Ti with 205mm floating rotor

Questions:
    1. I'm having clearance issues with installing the Mono 4 in the rear and the Mono 6 in the front; suggestions/comments about the fit?

2. I'm 99% certain I can run these calipers on this bike, but I feel as though the rotor size is the issue. From what I've gathered, it seems as though the Nomad can handle up to a 203mm rotor. Is this a frame design limitation, or is it just a matter of having the right adapter to make it work?

Advice is greatly appreciated.

...idios...
    "1. I'm having clearance issues with installing the Mono 4 in the rear and the Mono 6 in the front; suggestions/comments about the fit?"

What kind of issue? What doesn't fit?

What front hub are you using?

What use is a philosopher who doesn't hurt anybody's feelings? -
    Diogenes

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What kind of issue? What doesn't fit?

So far the front rotor is rubbing inside the caliper. After taking a second look at it, it appears as though the rotor itself is bent. I'd say 95% of the rotor is able to pass through seamlessly once spaced properly, but there's one part of the rotor that always rubs. I'd guess that I'm in need of a new rotor. Additionally, I've had to modify the IS to Post Mount adapter that came with the M6, and I removed these two little block spacers that were incorporated into the spacer in order to make sure the rotor actually sat inside the caliper. My feeling is that I should probably just ditch the rotor and buy a new 203mm rotor with the proper IS to Post Bracket for a 203mm rotor. Trying to "fudge" this brake to work isn't looking like the best plan at this point.

Now, the rear 200mm floating rotor won't even fit inside the caliper all the way. It seems as though the caliper needs to sit another quarter inch higher in order to accommodate the entire rotor. Perhaps Hope makes an IS to IS spacer for additional clearance.

IMG_0066 (Large).jpg
    IMG_0067 (Large).jpg

What front hub are you using?

I'm running a DT Swiss 340 in the front and a DT Swiss 240 in the rear

mtbr member
    Maybe you can test the fit with some washers. I usually have to shim calipers up to get them to the OD of the rotor.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    UPDATE:
    So after a lengthy conversation with HOPE TECH support in Texas, it seems as though the issues are as follows:

1. The M4 that is installed on the rear is designed to work with either a 200mm rotor on the front IS mount or a 183mm rotor on the rear IS mount. My 200mm rotor on the rear will not work. My options are as follows:
    • Purchase a new 183mm rotor for the rear, or I could
    • Purchase the larger 203mm rotor and buy the 20mm spacer/adapter (this way I would retain the larger diameter in the rear)
    • Put the M4 and the 200mm rotor back up front where it fits perfectly and put the M6 Ti back in the rear where it will also work. The only downside to this setup is that I really wanted the larger rotor/caliper up front.

2. The M6 Ti in the front was sold to me from my buddy to be used as a rear brake. By eliminating the removable block spacers in the adapter I'm able to get the caliper to fit nicely over the rotor with the proper shims. However, after further review, it seems as though the rotor itself is tweaked which is causing a slight rub. I thought I may be able to take the 200mm rotor from the rear and use it on the M6, but I guess the M6 Ti was designed to only be used with a 205mm rotor.

So I'm currently weighing my options. I have $250 sunk into the current M4/M6 Ti setup that would work perfectly if I ran the M6 Ti in the rear and the M4 up front. However, if I want to run the setup the way I truly want it, it would cost me an additional $70 to buy a new rear 183mm rotor. For $320 I feel as though this would be a pretty *****in' brake setup and I'm not sure if I could get something comparable for that amount of money. I know I've seen some postings on eBay for the new complete SAINT setup for around $400, but the reviews on those brakes seem to be 50/50.

I'm open to suggestions/thoughts.

mtbr member
    I'd go with Saints....

Shimano Saint 4-pot 1st Impressions
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Yeah, I've definitely had my eye on the new SAINTS. One of the guys that I ride with has them and they feel great! However, that setup is probably close to $550 and I'm not sure if there is a $200 difference that I'll be able to tell from the Hope's to the SAINTS (at least for my riding application). Ideally I'd like to always have the newest setup, but money does factor into this situation.