mtbr member
    Dec 2008

HOPE M4 Lever travel help

I have a front Hope M4 and my lever travel distance was nice after I changed the pads, [hardly any] is how I prefer.

But now, I presume as the pads have worn a little, I have to pull back a longer distance to get the same braking power.

How, on the M4 [the gold and black ones] Do you adjust the distance of travel the lever has? I want to reduce it.

The manual is not much help and just says that the M4 does not have a manal adjuster and is determined by the piston seals in the caliper body.

...idios...
    As the manual says, the piston seals work in a way that helps to maintain a specific distance between the pads and the rotor. User adjustments are not necessary.

If your lever travel has increased over time, then you have a problem. Either the brake needs bleeding (most likely) or you have slow moving pistons due to a seal issue. When was the system last bled? Did you clean the pistons before pushing them back when you changed pads? Have you removed/replaced the wheel recently?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi thanks for the reply.

I bled them only about a hundred and fifty miles ago. The lever travel distance is still acceptable just not ideal, I am still able to brake one fingered. When I first bled it the travel was only half a cm, now its about 2cm.

One of the pisons does not go fully into its house as there is a slight nick on it. However this has always been there, since before the bleed.

...idios...
    The fact that the lever travel has changed means that something isn't as it should be. My first response would be to bleed again. How far out is the nicked piston? How do you work around it when you bleed? It should be pushed in flush at some point, like all teh others.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler