banned

Hope: M4 Front & Mini Rear?

Hardtail aggressive XC frame build in progress.

The frame is a 5lb burly Planet X Armadillo 19in.

I'm 6ft and around 14stone.

The bike will be for agrressive XC and muddy XC.

So.. do I go for:

Mono M4 Front 180mm
    Mono Mini Rear 160mm

or..

Mono M4 Front 180mm
    Mono M4 Rear 160mm

I'm kinda thinking that a mini might be more than adequate on the rear. In the UK I can buy these brakes cheap, and the mini and m4 are very close in price, so price isn't an issue.

What do you think?

Authority is dead!
    I would say go with full M4 since they are close in price to Mini. 4 pot and 2 pot makes a big difference.
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kronik
    Hardtail aggressive XC frame build in progress.

The frame is a 5lb burly Planet X Armadillo 19in.

I'm 6ft and around 14stone.

The bike will be for agrressive XC and muddy XC.

So.. do I go for:

Mono M4 Front 180mm
    Mono Mini Rear 160mm

or..

Mono M4 Front 180mm
    Mono M4 Rear 160mm

I'm kinda thinking that a mini might be more than adequate on the rear. In the UK I can buy these brakes cheap, and the mini and m4 are very close in price, so price isn't an issue.

What do you think?
    I've got the mono mini's,m4's and even the 6ti's.You should get the m4's because even if you were trying to save weight, there's only a minute diff. between the mini's and m4's (using the same size disc). You get more power, less heat fade and the pads will last longer because they are larger and not working as hard. Try to get your tabs faced as this reduces squealing etc.and is worth the effort. Good choice in Hope. Enjoy.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    I am running M4 185 front and Mini 160 rear. The power difference makes balancing front and rear lever pressure automagical. Pull both with equal pressure and both tires near their lockup points at nearly the same time.

banned
    Thanks everyone. I have decided on M4 front and rear I THINK. The weight difference is minimal and I notice that the piston sizes are not equal i.e. the M4 doesn't appear to be 2 Mono Mini's strapped together. The M4 appears to have one small piston and one large piston (the large one appears to be Mono Mini size). Besides, in area terms, the M4 has about the same piston area as one Hayes brake. Cos those Hope pistons sure are diddly.

Besides again... the M4 is lighter than nearly every other disc brake on the market...

Plus... I would get better modulation with an M4 on the rear... cos of the progressive piston action right? So I would have less chance of locking the rear out unintentionally.

Reinforcement of my thoughts here would be appreciated.

Or Mini on rear like geezer above said.... only 10GBP difference in price...

Hmmmmmm

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. I have decided on M4 front and rear I THINK. The weight difference is minimal and I notice that the piston sizes are not equal i.e. the M4 doesn't appear to be 2 Mono Mini's strapped together. The M4 appears to have one small piston and one large piston (the large one appears to be Mono Mini size). Besides, in area terms, the M4 has about the same piston area as one Hayes brake. Cos those Hope pistons sure are diddly.
    The Mini pistons are a good deal larger than either of the M4 pistons. The M4 brake pistons are 2 different sizes which is supposed to aid in the progressive feel like you said. I believe it works. My Mini rear brake does seem to grab a bit earlier than the M4 front brake. But when a little more pressure is applied the M4 front passes up the Mini pretty quickly in power.

Whichever route you go will work fine. You will not likely utilize more rear brake than a Mono Mini 160mm rear will provide. The only advantage I could see would be the convenence of only needing one type of brake pad for replacement.

I chose the Mini on the rear cause it is lighter, cheaper, and liked the looks of a different front and rear brake.

banned
    now I don't know what to do again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    now I don't know what to do again.
    Listen to the people that are running a mini in the rear. It's all you need. If you can lock up the rear you don't need anymore power. I run an M6 font and 160mm Mini rear and It's pretty well balanced. I've never had heat problems either.

a.k.a. MTBMaven

M4/Mini

I've been running the M4/Mini combo your looking at and their great! The las poster makes a good point, how much more power do you need if the rear wheel is locking up?

Authority is dead!
    mind if I ask, what's the price on M4s in England for a set with both 8" rotors?

Thanks!
    [SIZE=5]For the love of Oi[/size]

[size=6]Rent a house at Attitash[/size]

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13
    mind if I ask, what's the price on M4s in England for a set with both 8" rotors?

Thanks!
    210 GBP is cheapest I have seen. 270 GBP is considered a good price.

105 GBP for an M4. 90 GBP for a mini.

So what do I go for? Is there any advantage to an M4 on the rear?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnfiend
    I've been running the M4/Mini combo your looking at and their great! The las poster makes a good point, how much more power do you need if the rear wheel is locking up?
    Is a mini more powerful than an XT V brake? I have never had discs so I need some guidance....

M4 or Mini for the rear... I got to order this weekend..... more input please???!!!!

M4/mini or M4/M4

????

mtbr member
    I'd go m4 m4 just because i know how well they work, and because i have issues visually having two different brakes. But hey, That's just the way *I* am.

mtbr member
    M4 or Mini for the rear... I got to order this weekend..... more input please???!!!!

M4/mini or M4/M4

????
    You will get equal effective braking with either setup. Choose whatever your gut tells you.