mtbr member

Hope Floating Rotors NEW and NOT true!!!!

Just got a set of 160/140 mm floating rotors and have noticed not only are they scratched in parts, clearly a problem from Hope's QA department but they are out of true too! That's very poor quality control, especially considering their cost for brand spanking new rotors!

Anyone else found that?

Oh, another thing, I bought them on the gamble that they would fit the Avid Juicy Ultimates, and they do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    mine are flat try sending them back

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan123
    Just got a set of 160/140 mm floating rotors and have noticed not only are they scratched in parts, clearly a problem from Hope's QA department but they are out of true too! That's very poor quality control, especially considering their cost for brand spanking new rotors!

Anyone else found that?

Oh, another thing, I bought them on the gamble that they would fit the Avid Juicy Ultimates, and they do!
    NEWS FLASH: Most new rotors are not perfectly true out of the box (or card, bubble wrap).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Gone riding
    Jan 2004
    And it’s not unusual considering how far they’ve travelled to get here. Just as likely a distributor / shop / shipping issue as much as it is Hope quality control.

Dave.

mtbr member
    How are these angle grinder looking dings though?!? The out of true I can handle, but not the gouges
    Attached Images Attached Images

...idios...
    Stop moaning to people who can't do anything about it. Send your pictures to whoever you bought the rotors from and let them know that you wish to return them. Can you be 100% certain that they came from the factory in that condition?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

cgd
    mtbr member
    theres no way hope would knowingly let a rotor in that condition leave the factory.

anyway, these things happen, its how its dealt with from now to sorting the matter out that really matters..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Stop moaning to people who can't do anything about it. Send your pictures to whoever you bought the rotors from and let them know that you wish to return them. Can you be 100% certain that they came from the factory in that condition?
    Arrrr. yeah. good idea

I have done that, I was just pointing it out, surely I can moan if I want to, or are we not allowed to anymore? I have been offered a part refund and have accepted that. But just pointing out something, is that OK sir?

bi-winning
    working at a shop, i find many rotors come slightly out of true. the cheap hayes ones seem to be the worst.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

I have seen this before.

It looks like these were either mounted before you purchased or you unknowingly did this yourself. Check the mounting bolts for the brake. If they protrude to far inward out of the brake body they will rub/scratch the rotor on the spots pointed out. Only asthetic but still not cool.

...idios...
    "...surely I can moan if I want to, or are we not allowed to anymore?"

It was a suggestion not an order, I hadn't realised you were so precious. My point is pretty much the same as cgd's, which is that if you start moaning to everyone a) without telling the full story and b) before everything is concluded, you're basically just stirring up sh*t.
    You still haven't said if the rotors came direct from Hope. And, yes, why only a partial refund?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    "...surely I can moan if I want to, or are we not allowed to anymore?"

It was a suggestion not an order, I hadn't realised you were so precious. My point is pretty much the same as cgd's, which is that if you start moaning to everyone a) without telling the full story and b) before everything is concluded, you're basically just stirring up sh*t.
    You still haven't said if the rotors came direct from Hope. And, yes, why only a partial refund?
    Guessing he is keeping the rotors and got a discount (partial refund) because of the scratches.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Guessing he is keeping the rotors and got a discount (partial refund) because of the scratches.
    Yes, too much mucking around to send them back to the UK from Australia and be without rotors for another 2 weeks. It is only cosmetic, but a pain still. As soon as I opened the plastic bag it was in, I noticed it. And yes, it was possibly not Hope's QA but the shop who sent them

I did it myself? mmm

Precious... mmmm

My whole point with this post was to ask if others had to true Hope rotors from new and to show that things fall through the QA department at times. I was wondering if anyone else had them, ie was this a bad batch, or was did I just get a case of 'bad luck'. Not meaning to p!ss anyone!

mnt bike laws of physics

don't mind Jerky

My hope floating rotor also came to me out of true. Personally, I would not buy again esp. for the price. I recently got a steel XTR rotors for the front and after a few months it is still perfect.
    Thanks for the post