mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Hope floating rotor is... floating`

Got a Hope 140 floating rotor on the back and the disc is rocking on the carrier. If I lock the rear brake I can rock the wheel back and forth. There is play at the rivet where the carrier and disc are attache. Anyone have this happen before? Can I ride it like this or is it going to fail when I least want it? I have three sets of these and this is the only one to do this.

mtbr member
    Thats sounds like wear to the aluminium carrier and will become disproportionately worse very quickly. I wouldn't ride with it again, it's unlikely to fail but it shouldn't have any play.

Ironically the best road-racing discs in the bike world all nearly always fully floating, but sadly yours shouldn't be.

I'm a recent customer for Hope but have found them easy people to deal with and they respond swiftly to enquiries, I'd ask them direct - Home - Hope Technology - Disc Brakes - Seat Stems - Hope Hoops - Bottom Brackets - LED Lights - Made in UK - Barnoldswick - England - anodised - etched - freeride
    Last edited by Major Clanger; 03-04-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: addition
    Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I contacted hope about this a while ago, and they said it was normal for the rotors to develop some play between the carrier and rotor itself.

I replaced the rotor with a 183mm rotor anyways as I didn't like the idea that they had separated like that. My LBS said that bike brakes don't typically get used in two directions so the play shouldn't be noticeable.

mtbr member
    Just checked my Hope floating rotors and there is no play.
    Current Ride:
    Ibis Mojo SL-R - Medium - South Beach White
    '11 Specialized Roubaix Compact Rival

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by santacruzflyer View Post
    Got a Hope 140 floating rotor on the back and the disc is rocking on the carrier. If I lock the rear brake I can rock the wheel back and forth. There is play at the rivet where the carrier and disc are attache. Anyone have this happen before? Can I ride it like this or is it going to fail when I least want it? I have three sets of these and this is the only one to do this.

Santacruzflyer, That happened to me twice on 2 different bikes on the rear wheel, I have changed the rotors, I do not like the way it feels , it is actually floating and for sure there is a lot of play between the disk and the carrier.

I have already ordered the new Formula Rotors
    FORMULA Bremsscheibe zweiteilig schwarz 160 mm 6-Loch 95g, 57,50 &eur
    ligth ( not too ligth ) but not floating and less bend.

Best

staike
    The same happened to a friends Shimano RT-76 rotor after a season's use. It's definitely ready to be replaced...

mtbr member
    I had the same feeling you described but it was the entire rotor moving on the rotor bolts/bolt holes (not the floating rotor on the carrier)... So I just tightened the rotor bolts a bit more... and I don't rock back and forth on the brake... I just use the brake to slow down and stop (no pushing/rocking backwards on the brake).

Therefore, the rotor is only ever pulled in one direction and no play occurs.

Hope that makes sense!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

pads rocking

This happened to me with a brand new set of Hope brakes, but after about 5 rides the play disappeared.