mtbr member
    Jan 2005

New question here. Hope floating disc not clearing Fox 2010 TALAS fork post?

Fitted a new 2010 Fox TALAS fork to my Hustler - was running Hope floating discs with Avid Juicys on the old TALAS with IS mounts ok but trial fitted the wheel into the new fork and the aluminium spider touched the inside of the caliper mounting post. Had no choice but to fit the old 185mm Avid disc which clears OK.

Pity as the Hope disc performed better (and looks way cooler too!) Hub is Chris King ISO - is it possible to realign the axle to effectively move the hub across slightly when it sits in the fork droputs?

...idios...
    Common problem. Fettling (read: filing) your fork or replacing your hub is about the extent of your choices. If the Hope disc design is better, just buy one of their fixed rotors; it's the same brake track design.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yes^

I removed maybe 1mm or so off lower post to clear the rotor rivets. I used a flat file, took a little while to do. You can't notice it after being built up really.

locked - time out
    Jan 2010
    No one knows why Industry 9 and Chris King do this, but since companies are making rotors with hub carriers, it's looking like they're outdated in their specs, and no way will CK ever admit to being wrong, ever, like with the 150 hubs...

mtbr member
    I've had this issue too, with a 2008 Vanilla, and ended up returning the fork.

Also had it with a Lyrik, but with the Lyrik, I was able to file down the actual Hope adapter enough to make it work, and didn't have to file the tabs on the fork itself.

And I've got King hubs, FWIW.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Not sure I could face filing my new forks down! So it's all down to the overall width of the King hub then? Cheers for the replies though. Wonder if the XX Avid brake disc is any thinner?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet
    Not sure I could face filing my new forks down! So it's all down to the overall width of the King hub then? Cheers for the replies though. Wonder if the XX Avid brake disc is any thinner?
    it's really not bad

i did it on my brand new fork too.

...idios...
    So it's all down to the overall width of the King hub then?
    It's a combination of the hub, the fork and the rivets on the disc. Of course, it's the Hope disc design which is the furthest from any kind of standard, but the floating discs work fine with Hope hubs and several others as well. King and I9 seem to be the two designs which place the disc mount the furthest outboard - for what reason? I do not know. Combine this with Fox placing the PMs that little bit further inboard and Hope fitting big fat rivets to brake discs, and you've got the compatibility headache you find yourself with.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    I too, have filed on new forks (more than one). That is the only option if you don't want to switch to one piece rotors. I've got king hubs with 2 piece hope rotors. You really are the only one who will know it and it does not affect the fork in a structural way.

Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    ...King and I9 seem to be the two designs which place the disc mount the furthest outboard ...
    Hadley hubs also have this same issue, at least with my Fox 36 Talas fork and Hope M4 brakes. I bought one-piece Hope rotors to avoid having to file down my fork legs. They have the same saw tooth design as the two-piece rotors and are less expensive.

Cheers,

-S

Ballstein Models
    FYI, 2013 Fox F29 CTD, I9 wheels, Hope Floating rotors. Conflict still exists. 15 seconds with a dremel tool on the lower PM tab and the problem was solved.

The source for mountain biking information in the Madison Wisconsin Area:

Capital Off Road Pathfinders

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    When I had the orginal problem I ended up running a thin, serrated washer between the fork dropout and the hub face. Never had a problem with it and gave enough clearance for the floating roor without any filing etc. Not very elegant but worked for me. Went to XT Trail brakes with Icetech rotors earlier this year and the problem went away - brilliant brakes by the way...