mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope Floater is hitting Hope IS bracket? What now?

I just swapped out my Mono M4's on my single speed (which are awesome, but overkill for a race bike - they're getting transferred to my fully) for a set of Pink Mini's. After I got them all lined up and adjusted, I noticed 2 of the 6 rivets that hold the steel disk to the aluminum carrier are making contact with the mounting bracket. When I spin the wheel it makes a "ka-chink, ka-chink" noise as the rivets make contact. As far as I can see, all I can do is grind down the IS mounting bracket, right? I circled and pointed to the problem in the attached picture. Anyone else ever have this problem? The rears are fine, along with the M4's I had on previously. Tight tolerances I guess... anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

On MTBR hiatus :(
    So it's just "ka-chinking" and not stopping cold? Yeah, I'd "massage" the inside face of the adapter on a flat file and take off a few mils. Problem solved.

That's not a spacer between the adapter and the tabs (hidden by your yellow circle)?
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    Do you have a washer spacer in between the the IS brake boss and the IS bracket...? Sorry, I just can not see it well there? Your yellow circle is great but just a little bit in the wrong spot though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    So it's just "ka-chinking" and not stopping cold? Yeah, I'd "massage" the inside face of the adapter on a flat file and take off a few mils. Problem solved.

That's not a spacer between the adapter and the tabs (hidden by your yellow circle)?

Correct, it's just making a bit of a racket as it goes around. There are no spacers in between there, unfortunately. I guess I will just shave it down, then. It's a SID Team fork, for future reference. The caliper is almost at the extreme outboard adjustment to allow for proper centering, which means the tabs are about as close to the inside of the fork leg as they could possibly be. I know every fork is minutely different, and when you're playing with tolerances like that, somethings bound to happen to some. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim2u
    Do you have a washer spacer in between the the IS brake boss and the IS bracket...? Sorry, I just can not see it well there? Your yellow circle is great but just a little bit in the wrong spot though.
    Yeah, bad circle placement on my part - there's no washer there, just a machined-in step on the Hope mount. Here's a closer view, the depth-of-field is a bit off because I was focused on the rivet, but you can still see it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wyrd bi ful rd
    Your caliper to adaptor bolt looks quite offset to the right as you look at the picture ... I presume for alignment of the rotor ...

Does that mean that you can actually face your frame mounting tabs at bit ... just enough to move the adaptor that little bit away from the rotor ... that way you do not need to machine the adaptor ...

Or if you do not want to do any machining ... just get the Shimano adaptors (black ones though) which are slightly thinner than Hopes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    Does that mean that you can actually face your frame mounting tabs at bit ... just enough to move the adaptor that little bit away from the rotor ... that way you do not need to machine the adaptor ...
    Good call, that did cross my mind as I've never had the fork faced. I never thought it needed it, because all 3 sets of discs I've had on it were all perfectly aligned... I may just get it faced anyway.

≈ > ♥
    Yeah, I say have your local shop face the mounts on your fork a hair.
    They should have the tool to do it, and you don't have to worry about grinding your adapter.

mtbr member
    Get the fork tabs faced at a lbs and you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, I think that if you face you fork tabs that'll be fine! In fact I had the same pb with a PM mono M4 floatting disc + RockShox Reba Team + CK iso disc hub. Before I had the same configuration except that the front hubs was a hope and I did not have this problem. After several measurements, I realized that the CK hubs shifted the disc towards outside. For this reason they rubbed against the adapter (Only for the hope floatting disc). The solution for me was to purchase an other caliper in IS.

Sorry for my bad English!

Bye

not so super...
    I just filed my adaptor down a bit. Works fine and can be done at home.
    Nothing to see here.

Single Speed Junkie
    IS tabs should ALWAYS be faced. Assuming this has been done file the adapter till it clears the rotor bolts. I know some will thing this is extreme, but the Hope (H) adapter that I was using post mount to post mount needed to be filed for clearance issues.

Take a few min with a file, clean up any sharp edges and go ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by romas
    Yes, I think that if you face you fork tabs that'll be fine! In fact I had the same pb with a PM mono M4 floatting disc + RockShox Reba Team + CK iso disc hub.
    Same here, RS Lyrik, post mount Mono M4's, and King Iso 20 mm hub. Had to file the adapter down to work on 4 different Lyriks (warranty issues.) Worked fine after that.

Have since gotten an 06 Marz 66 and no isssues at all, using the same filed adapter I had with the Lyriks. I think a non-filed adapter would work on the Marz, as there is pleny of clearance now, but hard to tell. I'd need to try it to be sure.