mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hope EVO Race X2 on a Scalpel?

I want to put some Hope EVO Race X2s on my 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29er? The bike currently has the stock Avid XO brakes with 180mm rotor front and 160mm rotor in the rear.
    I'm wondering if anyone has made a similar swap. I think the rear will be a bolt on swap. I've been told a J 183 mm I.S. to post is what I need on the Lefty out front. Allowing me to run Hope floating rotors 160mm rear and 183mm (?) front.
    I placed (no hardware) the Hope calipers on the current adapters and looks like I might be able to run a 180mm front without having to get an adapter and going to 183mm.
    I'm hoping to hear from someone that has made the swap so I don't wind up with adapters and rotors I don't need and can't use.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    i recently switched frmo Avid XXs (180/160) to Hope X2 Evos (183/160). Long story short, I got the wrong Hope adapters so I have been making do with my old Avid adapters (my frame and fork are both IS) until Hope switches mine out with the correct ones.

I have had no problems running the Hope calipers on the Avid adapters. I had to play with the little washers/spacers to make sure that the edge of the rotors dont hit the caliper. I think I ended up adding a single spacer to get the right clearance. if your Avid adapters are anything like mine, I had like 4 or 5 spacers to use so it wasnt a problem.

mtbr member
    You should be able to use everything as is - avid rotors and adapters. Just bolt the new brakes on and you should be good to go. The only reason to get the new adaptor for the front is if you want to run 183 mm rotor. However, you can get a 180 hope floating rotor if you are happy with that and just keep using your existing adaptor.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Just my opinion but get anything avid off of your bike.

MTBR Member
    Only thing I would recommend is the Hope fixed(1-piece) rotors. The floaters seem to bend too easily.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Only thing I would recommend is the Hope fixed(1-piece) rotors. The floaters seem to bend too easily.
    I ran the floating rotors and fixed rotors on my bikes over the years. I had issues with play in the rivets. Switch to fixed and didnt notice a bit of difference in performance.

mtbr member
    Going to have to go against the trend here and state that I have had zero problems with the Hope floating rotors.

So if you do want to switch rotors, get whichever ones you prefer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovertd View Post
    I want to put some Hope EVO Race X2s on my 2012 Cannondale Scalpel 29er? The bike currently has the stock Avid XO brakes with 180mm rotor front and 160mm rotor in the rear.
    I'm wondering if anyone has made a similar swap. I think the rear will be a bolt on swap. I've been told a J 183 mm I.S. to post is what I need on the Lefty out front. Allowing me to run Hope floating rotors 160mm rear and 183mm (?) front.
    I placed (no hardware) the Hope calipers on the current adapters and looks like I might be able to run a 180mm front without having to get an adapter and going to 183mm.
    I'm hoping to hear from someone that has made the swap so I don't wind up with adapters and rotors I don't need and can't use.
    Thanks
    Hello, I have the same setup. No problems at all with the standard apaters witch came with the scalpel.

Jeroen, The Netherlands