mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. Hope Brake Setup

I know this topic has been hammered out before, but a lot of the riders in those posts are a bit smaller than me. I'm 6' 250 and ride mainly XC and all mountain on a 29er hardtail. I'm looking for a new hydraulic brakes. Currently I'm running Avid BB7s so it's time to switch. I've narrowed it down to Hope brakes. At first I was set on the X2s mainly because of their weight, but after reading the forums I'm concerned these won't be powerful enough for me. I like the idea of running a M4 up front and a X2 in the back but do you think this will be enough for me? Or would I be better off going with the V4?

human dehumidifier
    I'm pretty happy with my X2s. They'll slow it down to where if I went any slower I'd fall over. I don't ride long downhills though, maybe fade would be a problem there, I really don't know.

OTOH, there's really no such thing as overkill only overbudget.
    When you get older, much of your hate comes from knowledge and experience, which is why really old people hate everyone

b a n n e d
    At 250lbs, I'd definitely put at LEAST an M4 up front. Even better - specifically for AM riding - would be a dual M4 or V4f/M4r setup.

However, I like to be able to stop on a dime without locking things up and with minimal pressure on the lever. More powerful brakes allow me to do this, and I don't care what they weigh.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    205lb rider with Hope M4 front (Sintered Pads)-180mm rotor and X2 rear- 160mm rotor. This set up has worked great riding throughout CO (including BME) and Moab without a major weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    X2 is not a very strong brake. I found them merely OK for Whistler and North Vancouver XC trails. Nicely made easy to bleed and adjustable but not what I want for where I ride. I weigh a little over 140#.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Update. I went ahead and got the M4 for the rear. Deciding on weather to put a M4 up front or a V4.

Also, slightly switching subjects, what do you think about rotor size? I've always had 160s with my BB7s. Will I see a big difference switching to bigger ones?
    Last edited by lhovden; 10-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by lhovden View Post
    Update. I went ahead and got the M4 for the rear. Deciding on weather to put a M4 up front or a V4.

Also, slightly switching subjects, what do you think about rotor size? I've always had 160s with my BB7s. Will I see a big difference switching to bigger ones?
    I run 183 front and rear. Wouldn't consider anything smaller.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am 220 I run M4 front and rear 183 MM rotors