mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Hope brake lever leak

I have Hope Mono M4 brakes with the Mini lever. The fluid reservoir is covered with an alunimum cap held in place with two allen screws. On the right side of the cap is a tiny notch in the metal. When I squeeze the right lever, fluid discharges from the notch. As far as I know, this began happening today. Does anyone know what to do about this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    new cap check the gasket also maybe that's the problem

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Sounds like the diaphragm has a leak. Take it out and stretch it out while holding it up to the light, you shouldn't see any holes, if you do it is toast. Replacements are available form Hope for a small charge.

I have recently learned that the cap bolts should be only very, very lightly snugged down, this crushes the diaphragm and can cause the leaks, so be careful when installing the new one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

You are right

I examined the diaphragm and found a small crease that extends to the cap notch. That is probably the culprit.

I have had the cover off several times to refill the fluid. Periodically, the banjo bolt loosens and the fluid leaks out. I tighten it as much as I think prudent, but that has not been sufficient.

If Hope can't advise me on the banjo bolt, I will switch to a different brake.

Thanks for your help.

...idios...
    You're going to get a little fluid coming from that hole after you've topped up the reservoir, it's not big deal. Like Furrner said, the bolts don't need to be very tight; try holding the short end of the Allen key for leverage when you torque them up.
    The banjo shouldn't be loosening at all. If it does, it means that it wasn't torqued correctly in the first place. Check that both copper washers are fitted, one either side of the banjo.

It sounds to me as though your probelms are boiling down to the loose banjo. The diaphragm isn't intended to be removed and refitted over and over again; it's works in a similar way to a gasket, so it's most effective the first time it's compressed. Make sure than the banjo bolt is tight, bleed the system properly and fit a new reservoir diaphragm.

Check out this thread for a comprehensive photo-guide to overhauling the Hope open system. The guide is for a Mini, but you're not concerned with the actual caliper design (the only difference between the Mini and Mono models).