Fat & Single

Hope braided hose shortening, should i get any spares before starting ?

Hey guys , i need to shorten my hoses , just built the bike and had first ride today ... AWESOME Brakes are absolutely sensational .

Do yous recommend getting any spares before starting . I have obviously never done it before , i have downloaded and printed out about 4 different "how to's" and feel pretty confident i can do it . Im pretty handy doing things myself.... BUT i would hate to mess something up ...eg - snap an olive , and then end up not being able to ride it for a week or so while spare parts come from the UK.

Should i order any bits befor starting ??

PIC - to make the thread more interesting

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

...idios...
    The one part for a potential problem would be the brass olive. Since the brakes are new, though, you should have no trouble reusing the ones you have; just don't get all hamfisted when you open them up. In case you haven't already stumbled upon it, here's a link my instruction.

It's also worth noting that the Tech levers have a slightly different bleed process. Check out the video on the Hope site. A new diaphragm is recommended, although, again, you have a brand new brake so the existing ones are unlikely to be out of shape.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

Fat & Single
    Stumbled !!! i have it printed out in colour about a week ago, with about 18 full colour pictures blown up too (done in work) it an awesome instruction !

Your site is sensational , you are an absolute credit to MTBing . Good on stuff stevie , keep it up . The modern day Sheldon Brown

Ive watched the Hope videos numerous times , so im thinking i might order some bits (olives and maybe a rubber diaphragm).

Thanks mate
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I always like to have a bleed kit handy when cutting brake lines. Never know when you are going to slip and a get a little air in the line.

Its always good to have the small bits handy as well. You can often re-use, but better safe than sorry. (and its a mood killer to be waiting on a $2 fitting that keeps you from riding...if you are going to have any issues it will inevitably happen when the weather and trails are perfect)

(I have new Tech M4's but have not had to bleed and did not need to cut).

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I want to also order some spare parts for my new tech M4 brakes but can't find the info I need:

1. Olive: 5mm or 6mm?

2. What other parts should I get?

Fat & Single
    Guys , i shortened my hoses and bled the both of them last night using steves guide .

No problems whatsoever . I did it without having any spares too .

All i needed was a .....

4oz bottle of DOT 5.1 brake fluid
    A small plastic bleed hose
    A small bottle to run the old fluid into .
    8mm ring spanner.
    8mm open ended spanner.
    Stanley knife
    Screwdriver
    Cutters.
    4mm/3mm/2.5mm allen keys.

Job done in 1 hour , AND i cut and bled the back brake twice, then didnt like the look of it so i cut (another 50mm off it) and bled it again ... so i did 3 cut and bleeds.

Easy with steves instructions !
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I installed and bled my wife's new Tech m4s a couple days ago. They were the easiest brakes I've used as far as shortening the hoses and bleeding. I'm very impressed. Now to get them on the trail,,,

Ride Hard. Go Fast.

Having difficulty removing the olive when attempting to shorten the hose

I think I might have made things difficult as I took the brakes out for a quick spin.

Question for Hope Pros: How difficult should it be to pry apart the olive? I've nicked it up pretty good (following the instructions on the Hope video) and the thing won't come apart.

I believe my only option will be to cut the hose to desire length and put a new olive on and bleed the brakes as the brake lever can now be pulled all the way to the grip.

I'm guessing my other lever will be just as tight so I'll need to do this for both brake lines.

Any tips will be appreciated. I'll have to order up the parts and bleed kit and go from there.

Until then, I'll have to ride my other bike.

...idios...
    The olive should open quite easily - as long as you use a suitably-sized screwdriver and hold it steady. Rather than hold it in your hand, as in the video, you'll probably do better by holding the hose/olive against something solid, so that it's potential for slipping/twisting is limited. Check out this picture guide.

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    The olive should open quite easily - as long as you use a suitably-sized screwdriver and hold it steady. Rather than hold it in your hand, as in the video, you'll probably do better by holding the hose/olive against something solid, so that it's potential for slipping/twisting is limited. Check out this picture guide.
    sorry, my description was off originally. The problem is not the split compression olive (which opened up easily), it's the hose insert. Even with the olive expanded open, I'm unable to budge the insert out. I went so far as using a set of needle nose pliers to gently coax it out to no avail.

I used one of your pictures to illustrate (btw, that is an amazing write up).
    Attached Images Attached Images

...idios...
    Ahh, I'm with you now. Yes, the barbed tip comes out much easier on the Hope video than I've ever know it to, especially with braided hose!!

You could try using a pair of short-nose pliers to grip the widest part of the barbed connector - with the nose pointing down the length of the hose - and the hose wrapped around your other hand. Wrapping a piece of tissue around the connect/pliers will limit the amount of fluid you may splash around, then, with a firm grip with each hand, twist and pull then connector. You can get quite a lot of force if you do this down by your waist, kind of like one might hold a wine bottle to pull the cork out; although I'd suggest pulling the connector down-over to prevent getting brake fluid in your face.

Given how small amount of hose you're going to lose, you could just as easily trim the hose a couple of mil. below the olive and then cut the rest of the hose off from around the barb.

The connectors from the Goodridge hose kits have a threaded tip, rather than the barbs, and makes for a much easier fit. I might presume that it's only a matter of patent why Hope don't use the same design, as they source their hose from Goodridge.

By the way, I like what you've done to the picture. Going to greyscale for the background while leaving the important part of the image in color really makes it stand out and helps considerably to clarify what the picture is demonstrating. May I ask how you do this?

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    By the way, I like what you've done to the picture. Going to greyscale for the background while leaving the important part of the image in color really makes it stand out and helps considerably to clarify what the picture is demonstrating. May I ask how you do this?
    It's only fair I share my photo editing tips in trade for your Hope Knowledge. I used Adobe Photoshop CS4.

1) With the file open, select the lasso tool and trace the part you want to place emphasis on.

2) Once you're happy with the selection (you'll see some marching ants around it) -- Do a copy and paste. This will create a new layer with your selection pasted directly over the image in the same exact position.

3) Now, in the layers window, select the original layer below your newly pasted layer. In the main menu bar, go to [ image/adjustments/desaturate ]. Voila, you get the b/w background, leaving the part in color on the new layer.

Note: pick a color for your text and arrow prior to doing step 4 and 5.

4) create a new layer (in layer window, choose options/create new layer). choose the line tool and draw a line to make the arrow. I choose place arrow at end point in the line options palette to get the arrow.

5) Now use the text tool to write a description.

6) Export the image and save it in desired format (jpg, png, gif, etc.).

One more question, if there are nicks and gouges between the olive and insert (where I've tried prying with screwdriver) is this still usable or should I replace them? the AR in me is saying yes do it. But those parts would take a week to get and I want to ride.

...idios...
    "It's only fair I share my photo editing tips in trade for your Hope Knowledge."

Got it, thanks very much. I've used the arrow/text in other guides before, but the color highlight is new to me. I just added a new dimension to my how-to guides; much appreciated.

For your olive/insert, I'd say that if they seal the connection then you're good to go. It's not ideal, and I think I'd be inclined to order new parts, but as the compression is created as much at the other end of the olive, where it is compressed by the steel shroud, it should be a matter of it either working or not. As long as the shroud is fully threaded onto the other part of the connector then it's not as though you really have any scope for failure of the whole connection assembly. I see no reason to refrain from riding it until your parts arrive.

Ride Hard. Go Fast.
    "Got it, thanks very much. I've used the arrow/text in other guides before, but the color highlight is new to me. I just added a new dimension to my how-to guides; much appreciated.
    As they say, a picture's worth a thousand words and if you can make your picture meaningful with as much clarity as possible. You end up not having to write as much.

With most How To's or Guides, the ones that are the easiest to understand, have just the right amount of text and very good pictures. IKEA directions are almost free of any text and rely on simple illustrations.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is what worked for me, I had the same problem untill i tried this.

get some rubber, rubber has high friction.

i used the rubber mats you can buy from supermarkets and the like that enable you to undo jars. but you could cut an old inner tube. put a bit of this rubber between your thumb and fingers close to the top of the hose.. and the other on the olive and insert.. then tug and it will come apart because the friction will make this action more efficient...