I'm such a fox

Hope, is this a bad combo?

Currently I have 6 inch Hayes HFX-9, front and back, on my bike. They work fine for the most part but I want something different. I've read alot of the good comments on Hope brakes and since Jenson is having a sale I figured now is the time to splurge a little.

I was considering a Mono M4 in the front and a Mono mini in the rear. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used this combo or at least some pro or con arguments.

Lastly, Do these brake systems use the same levers? The poseur within me wants to have matching levers dammit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster
    Currently I have 6 inch Hayes HFX-9, front and back, on my bike. They work fine for the most part but I want something different. I've read alot of the good comments on Hope brakes and since Jenson is having a sale I figured now is the time to splurge a little.

I was considering a Mono M4 in the front and a Mono mini in the rear. I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has used this combo or at least some pro or con arguments.

Lastly, Do these brake systems use the same levers? The poseur within me wants to have matching levers dammit.
    They do use the same lever, but why would you want to use different calipers on each end? i'd say just buy the m4's and be done.

My Rusty Knee
    Cars have different calipers front to rear...motorbikes do too...why not for bikes.

Both calipers have the same styling, black and gold.

Might be better off getting a 160 mm rear instead of a 145 though to minimise difference in feel at each end.

I have thought of doing that too...but my fork manufacturer says 160mm max for my fork.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    It would be a workable combo and would save some money and a few grams in weight. Be sure to run the 160mm rear rotor, as the 140 Mini will feel way under leveraged compared to the 180mm Mono4. (the smallest M4 front config) One possible disadvantage to running the mini on the rear would be that the Mono4's (being 4 piston calipers) have better pad control and are virtually silent in almost any conditions (short of a total downpour, even running metal pads) Also be aware that the difference in weight (Mini-M4) is only about 50 grams (a tenth of pound) and that at least half of that, is the rotor difference (the mono4 rotor is considerably beefier than the mini rotor, though they are physically interchangeable (same brake path)).
    If weight savings, and not price is your motivation you might also want to consider (or also consider) using the Mono4 caliper(s) with MonoMini rotors the 180mm is nearly 50 grams lighter and the 160 is nearly 30 grams lighter. (But you would have to get the shop to order them that way) Or get the new aluminum center rotors which are lighter as well (there are two versions (mini and M4-M6) of those as well)

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by endoMaster

I'm not sure if it was sensible or not, but I did the same, however put the Mono Mini (160mm) on the front and the Mono M4 (160mm) on the back (my fork is limited to a 6" rotor as well, and the M4 was not available for anything that small in the front).

If/when I upgrade forks I'll make sure I can put a 180mm on it and upgrade to an M4 caliper, and then have the matching set.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Dude go for it. There is no reason to put more than a 160 mini on the back. I'm running a 203 m6 up front with a 160 mini and I think they are a great match. The front in solid under all contidions and I can still lock up the rear at any point. Think about it at best your brake are working 70-30 so you only need 1/2 the brake in the rear. you can only get so much power befor it locks. The modulation with the mini has been great too.