mtbr member

Hope IS Adapter Too Small?

So I got my new Hope X2s in the mail today. They look great but I ran into a problem when installing the rear caliper. The rotor is 160 and I got the 160 IS adapter. However, when I installed the caliper, the outer edge of the rotor hits the inside of the caliper (see photo).

That photo shows the point where the edge of the rotor hits the inside edge of the caliper and you can see that there is about a 1/2 inch to go before the caliper is snug to the adapter. I installed the adapter both ways and couldnt make it fit. Am I doing something wrong here? Do I just need to buy some big-ass spacer/washers here?

The bike is a Santa Cruz Blur LTc. I was able to get the calipers working by using my old Avid adapters, but I would rather use the Hope ones. (they sent me post mount adapters for my front so I had to use my old Avid adapters on the front too. ill ave to figure out an exchange or something.)

b a n n e d
    Somewhere on the adapter there should be a big letter . . . it SHOULD be an "F"

It looks like you might have an "A" (which would be for a 140mm rear rotor)
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    yep. that part does have an 'A' stamped onto it. good to know that Im not going crazy! Ill call up Hope today and see about getting it switched out for the correct part.

somewhat unrelated question - i can pull the rear brake lever pretty close to the bars, even when I have the BPC and reach dialed as far out as I can go. do I just need to bleed/top off the master cylinder?

Did a few laps around the block to try and bed them in last night and they seem to be progressing well, but I anticipate it will improve after a ride or 3.

mtbr member
    the industry standard is 'F' = front and 'R' = rear with regard to adapters.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 04-11-2013 at 08:45 AM.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the industry standard is 'F' = front and 'R' = rear with regard to adapters.
    Hope uses a letter assignment for the various adaptors. It is not to indicate Front vs. Rear.

Hope IS Adapter Too Small?-hbmtxo6.jpg

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    yep. that part does have an 'A' stamped onto it. good to know that Im not going crazy! Ill call up Hope today and see about getting it switched out for the correct part.

somewhat unrelated question - i can pull the rear brake lever pretty close to the bars, even when I have the BPC and reach dialed as far out as I can go. do I just need to bleed/top off the master cylinder?

Did a few laps around the block to try and bed them in last night and they seem to be progressing well, but I anticipate it will improve after a ride or 3.
    It is not at all uncommon for Hope's to need a bleed right out of the box. Also, with the adjuster screws all the way OUT, you're going to get the most lever throw. It will take you a while to find the "sweet spot" for you, but first you need to get a good bleed. Once you do that, adjust the BPC FIRST to get the amount of free stroke you want, and THEN do the reach.

My setup leaves the lever about 1" from the bars when its fully depressed.

EDIT: While you are calling them, ask for SILVER mounts to match the calipers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Hope uses a letter assignment for the various adaptors. It is not to indicate Front vs. Rear.
    well F & R are letters but it's another sign of the UK strikes again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    It is not at all uncommon for Hope's to need a bleed right out of the box. Also, with the adjuster screws all the way OUT, you're going to get the most lever throw. It will take you a while to find the "sweet spot" for you, but first you need to get a good bleed. Once you do that, adjust the BPC FIRST to get the amount of free stroke you want, and THEN do the reach.

My setup leaves the lever about 1" from the bars when its fully depressed.

EDIT: While you are calling them, ask for SILVER mounts to match the calipers!
    cool. thanks for the info. its actually not that bad, i just like the levers to be probably 1 inch out at the fully depressed position and its probably at about half inch right now with everything backed out. i might bleed em in a week or two. we'll see.

already talked to them and they authoried a quick exchange. im sending em back today. will put a request in the package for silver adapters if possible. didnt even think about that