Thread: Hope?

mtbr member

Hope?

I am working on a build kit for my custom steel frame that will hopefully be done soon. One of the last things is the brakes. I want hydraulic discs but have read many issues surrounding all the brands. The one I don't see any issues with are Hope. They look a little pricey but if they are good then I will pay. What are some of your experiences? I am thinking of the Hope Tech M4's. Thanks
    Live Large

...idios...
    Here's a link to an advanced search through Brake Time for Hope threads.

From a quality (design/build/materials) point of view, I don't believe that any company even comes close to Hope. Their warranty and customer service are also about as good as you'll get in the industry, and all small parts and service tools are also available aftermarket.

What kind of riding are you intending on doing? Many descents (fast or slow)? What do you weigh?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member

a little

I live in the Northwest so there are allot of mountains and descents. I also weigh 285 lbs. I am very tall at 6'10", the reason I am having a frame built. I will probably be down to 265 where I should be in a couple months but I will still need some grab power.
    Live Large

MC MasterShake
    I picked up a set of Tech M-4's earlier this year and I couldn't be happier. I've owned Juicy brakes for years, mostly because of cost, and there is no comparison. The feel and power of the Hope brakes is amazing. The quality of the Hope brakes is also top notch. I have friends with 5 year old Hope brakes they are still going strong. Get the Hope's and don't look back.

Given your weight I would recommend going with at least 8" upfront. You might be able to get away with 7" on the back.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I ended up switching from Shimano after my brother was able to successfully rebuild an old beat up set of M4's with very little effort and $$. They work every bit as well as or better than anything I've tried, they look awesome and (most importantly) the serviceability means I will probably never need to replace them.

banned
    I have Hopes on my bike, as well as my gf's. They especially wouldn't be on hers if they weren't making a good product. She's on vacation now for two weeks, and I am not worried at all about the brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have just got some Tech M4's, still early days, but they seem excellent, for build quality, power and feel.

mtbr member
    Switch from Avid Juicy 7's after 5 years (and several generations) to the new Hope Tech M4's 2 months ago.

Wish I had done it sooner. No problems, no rub, well build, great modulation, great lever feel, and plenty of power.

Hopes are great.

mtbr member
    I'm running a Tech M4, Tech X2 F/R combo with 183/160 mm rotors, and definitely recommend them highly. No problems, plenty of power, excellent modulation (especially on the front M4). Engineering is top notch, though I did have to file the adapter on the front a bit to get the floating rotor to clear in combo with my I9 wheels.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just got my front m4 and bedding it in,the finish is 10/10.just need to work out the stripping and red anodizing of them next

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtymerider
    I live in the Northwest so there are allot of mountains and descents. I also weigh 285 lbs. I am very tall at 6'10", the reason I am having a frame built. I will probably be down to 265 where I should be in a couple months but I will still need some grab power.
    Did you ever consider trying out for the knicks..could we ever use you in the middle

Hopes are great,as are the 2009 shimano saints,and the one by formula are also worth looking at

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Quote Originally Posted by ecthelion
    I'm running a Tech M4, Tech X2 F/R combo with 183/160 mm rotors, and definitely recommend them highly. No problems, plenty of power, excellent modulation (especially on the front M4). Engineering is top notch, though I did have to file the adapter on the front a bit to get the floating rotor to clear in combo with my I9 wheels.
    Do you have any more info or pics? What type of I9- Enduro or Extralite? I was thinking of going with the Tech M4's, just curious to see what issues I might run into.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH