mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hope 180mm vs 183mm rotor?

So I ordered replacment hope floating rotors for my x2 brakes... my existing rotors were 183mm, and I discovered the replacements I just received are 180mm? I assumed they would be 183mm when I ordered.

Will this 1.5mm difference at the caliper matter?

I'm not inclined to want to shave the adapter, since I imagine it would be tough to shave it evenly and not misalign the caliper.

≈ > ♥
    Won't make a difference.

banned
    No difference. There's a range or adjustment with either of a few mm's, so don't worry. If you don't like the fit, then get the adapter, otherwise enjoy.

...idios...
    The X2 isn't sold with 180mm rotors, so I have to wonder if perhaps you've been given Mono Mini/M4 rotors. Doesn't the X2 have a broader brake track than the Mini? If so you may find that the pads catch quite a lot of the rotor arms or even the rivets. It may not be an issue, but it's worth checking.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

banned
    Thanks for that info, Steve. I was unaware they changed up rotor dimensions and offerings for the X2.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    The X2 isn't sold with 180mm rotors, so I have to wonder if perhaps you've been given Mono Mini/M4 rotors. Doesn't the X2 have a broader brake track than the Mini? If so you may find that the pads catch quite a lot of the rotor arms or even the rivets. It may not be an issue, but it's worth checking.
    The 180mm rotors I just rec'd were not the ones that came with the x2 - I ordered them separately to get a different color (no wonder I got a good deal on them). The x2 came with the 183mm.

Spoke to Hope USA - dimensions are all the same except for the 3mm... he said the 180 were for IS mount calipers and the 183 are for post mount. My other set of minis which were post mount used the 183mm, which were exactly the same as the ones that came with the x2.

So I guess the issue remains whether the 1.5mm difference at the caliper will leave a bit of unused space at the top of the pad, which feedback so far has been it won't make a difference.

Worst case is I use my old rotors, or gently file the adapter.

Thanks to all for the feedback...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Yes you will see the diff.

RGR, I have MONO Mini Pros with the standard post mount and 183mm up front, I just bought a 180mm to see if it would work and I am only using 2/3rds of the rotor surface. So I just ordered some OEM 183 rotors. If you keep using the 180mm it will F-up your pads by uneven wear....
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

banned
    Strange. A 1.5mm difference makes you lose 1/3 of the rotor surface?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So here's an oddity -

I got home and compared the Hope rotors marked 180mm to the rotors marked 183mm - and they were exactly the same size.

Now I just need to true them up... wish Hope's rotors would come straighter.