mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Higher end mechanical discs?

What are some of your favorites? As per previous post I'm considering Avid BB7's.I'll be using them on a 37Lbs. Mulkuk so discs are my only option.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    There are other mechanical disc brakes?!

Seriously, I've worked on and used IRD Dual Bangers, Shimano mechs, and Tektro mechs. The only mechanical's that I haven't seen are the Gusset Chute dual piston brakes.

Of the ones I've worked on/used, the BB7 is still the best mechanical available. The IRDs are comparable in performance, however set up is a pain, and they seem to go through pads faster, and you really have to stay on top of pad adjustment or you start loosing power. The same can be said for the BB7 as far as pad wear adjustment goes. The Avid is better in that the adjustment is tool free. I think the Dual Banger modulates a better than the BB7 out of the box. But the BB7, when properly set up and adjusted come very close. However the advantage of the BB7 in that respect is the range of adjustment that is available, and the ease of the adjustments. And finally, the DB is just more complicated. It takes a few more bits to get both pads to move. More moving parts equates to more potential for problems.

The others that I've used simply don't stack up. Performance, ease of install and adjustment, etc., simply are not comparable.

IMHO the BB7 is still the best mechanical available overall.

I think you'll find that opinion is pretty much universal, with a few exceptions.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

meow, meow.
    Squash,
    I think that IRD Dual Bangers and Gusset Chute are the same device. They are manufactured by a Tawianese brand called Winzip (some are sold under that brand). With a name like that, they didn't have a chance I guess.

I have seen a Shimano mechanical setup that had bite well above any BB7s I've seen or used. It was very on-off, however. I have not had a chance to examine that setup.

My vote is on BB7s with Nokon housings.
    26" faithful.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks ..I just was wondering in case something was flying under the radar I missed .BB7's it will be with quality cables.