ride it like you stole it

New question here. HFX-Mag, do I need a bleed kit?

I need to bleed my hfx-mags; the levers are able to reach the bar when squeezed. I know that hayes sells their own bleed kit with the special adapters, but I was wondering if I need to buy the kit or can I venture out on my own? I can't get my hands on the kit locally so I would need to order it and I really want to get back out there and ride! I know that I could just get some tubing and a little squeeze bottle with some DOT 4 fluid and that would most likely be the cheaper way to go . But how much of an issue would I have without the little adapters? Thanks!

Former Bike Wrench
    I have been using a "Universal Bleed Kit" from Alligator that has worked on Hayes (Mag and 9's) and Magura (after a good washing of the dot fluid from the kit) brakes. Works great, actually prefer it to the Hayes Kit (which I've also used before).

Meh.
    All you really need is a syringe and a length of plastic hose to fit over the bleed nipple and syringe. You really don't even need the fitting for the lever, but it sure does make things a little tidier. And having a length of hose at the lever end lets you see whether or not all the air has come out.

The only thing I've kept from my Hayes bleed kit is the fitting for the lever bleed port.